Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much paint/stain is needed for wooden fence?

far213
Growing in Experience

How much paint/stain is needed for wooden fence?

67D6040E-D218-4659-985A-9987C19AB9A6.jpeg

Hello community!

We are considering to paint our wooden fence. The fence is like 10 years old and it never has been painted before.  It is a large house so the area to paint/stain is quite large that’s why we need to do cost estimation and decide whether to go with paint or stain. Also do you know with the current paint technology, should I expect to repaint every few years or it would last long? 
thank you all

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: How much paint/stain is needed for wooden fence?

Hi @far213,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. As a general rule of thumb, one litre of paint will cover eight square metres with two coats. This is for a flat surface and you should expect to use slightly more on a fence.

Stain and oils can be a bit more variable because the timber will soak in more or less depending on how dry or thirsty it is.

Hope that helps.

Mitchell

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

As @MitchellM said, 1L/8sqm for 2 coats. What you'll see on the tin is 1L/16sqm - just remember that's for 1 coat.

Painting is generally an inexpensive option so you shouldn't find it cost you too much. Just remember you need to prime it first if you're painting it. There are several 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 options so just get some guidance from your local Bunnings store on which would suit your needs.

I always recommend Dulux Weathershield for exterior applications because it's high quality and I've never had any problems with it.

Depending on your budget you could always consider some sort of screening/cladding. Being a timber fence you'll find it easy to fix the panels to it. And remember, you don't have to do the whole fence in panels. Just a few matched with the right colour paint of the fence can look great too!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
far213
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your response. If i use Dulux Weathershield how often do i need to renew the painting? 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@far213,

It's guaranteed to not flake, peel or blister for as long as you are living in your home. You need to follow the directions for this warranty. I'd imagine you might want to paint again in around 8 years to keep it looking fresh. 

Mitchell

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects