Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How soon should we oil a new Merbau deck?

tremas
Building a Reputation

How soon should we oil a new Merbau deck?

20201216_164735 (1).jpgHi, we've just had a merbau deck built. Interested in thoughts on how soon we should oil it. My main concern is that we plan to have people over in a week or so and am worried about any spills (food/drink) that may stain the unoiled deck - would i be able to remove these if they happened?  From what I've read, it seems it's best to let it weather for about 6-8 weeks before oiling.

The deck is exposed and north facing, so gets lots of sun. Not sure of that's a factor in oiling sooner?

Thanks for any advice.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Oiling a new merbau deck

Hello @tremas 

You are correct 6 to 8 weeks of full sun to weather a new deck. Otherwise the tannin from the wood will just bleed the oil out and you would get a spotty finish on your deck. You could accelerate the process by using deck cleaning chemicals but better to let it naturally weather. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tremas,

It's great to see you've already received assistance from @redracer01.

I've made contact with the Intergrain team to double-check, and they are very confident that Intergrain UltraPrep Tannin And Oil Remover is suitable for removing the tannins from new Merbau decking. Once the tannin removal process is complete, you should then use Intergrain UltraPrep Timber Cleaner to finish the job. You would then do a water droplet test, and if it is absorbed, you are ready to coat the deck with an oil.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tremas
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell

If we did decide to wait the 6 weeks, do you think the Intergrain UltraPrep Timber Cleaner would also remove food stains if there were to occur?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@tremas,

There is a good chance that it would remove the stains. It's best to try to avoid them, though.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How's your project going @tremas, did you decide to wait or have you already oiled the deck?

I'd be interested to hear your results.

Mitchell

tremas
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Yes, we used the intergrain tannin remover and then the cleaner and then oiled. All went well and deck is looking good.

Thanks

Sarah

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear Sarah (@tremas)!

I trust our members would really enjoy seeing an image of your finished project if you'd like to share it with us.

Please let us know anytime you need assistance with your projects around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

tremas
Building a Reputation

Sure! Here are some pre and post-oiling pics

pre-oilingpre-oilingpost-oilingpost-oilingpost-oilingpost-oiling

Hello @tremas 

What a satisfying finish! Excellent work.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects