Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add bracing to deck posts?

Glyph
Getting Established

How to add bracing to deck posts?

Hi all, I have an old deck that I have recently done some repair works to, to replace some bad timber and get it all levelled. One thing I have noticed is the posts do not have any cross bracing, and some have developed a sidewards lean over the years due to a tree that has pulled the deck with it. I was thinking of using some galvanised punched strapping to help further brace it. I'm not sure if this is the right product though?

The deck is on a  slopped block, so one row of posts are about 1.5m, while the other row are about 400mm. I want to brace the taller posts as shown with the red lines. I would be interested to hear others feedback on the right material to use for cross bracing.

IMG_0834.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bracing deck posts

Hello @Glyph

Thank you very much for sharing your deck repair project. Adding bracing to reinforce your deck frame sounds like a good idea. However, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder to make sure that any modifications you apply to your deck have been done to code.   

I also recommend having a look at the local council's rules and regulations regarding modifications to your decking structure. Adding bracing to your decking posts could have an unintended effect on the rest of the structure. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects