Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add kids swing to alfresco?

cafelah
Just Starting Out

How to add kids swing to alfresco?

Can i install a kids swing to the beam in my outdoor alfresco? If so what attachments could i use to attach them to the beam? Beam is not wood.

swing in questionswing in questioncan i install in the highlighted areacan i install in the highlighted areaWhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 16.53.09_67a1fa8f.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Kids swing in my Alfresco

Evening @cafelah 

Welcome to the Bunnings community, these type of questions get talked about a fair bit in here :smile:

I like you thinking I must admit but I would recomend against it sadly 😕

There are a LOT of forces involved when pushing even a small child on a swing seat. I dont see any bracing to strengthen the frame of your awning (from the lateral forces of the swing swinging) allso I dont know the weight rating of the roof mstructure? (Could you walk on top of it would tell you instantly if its not built to carry a load)

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cafelah. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging a swing.

Unfortunately, as @Dave-1 has mentioned, the beam is designed to hold up the roof, and the manufacturer wouldn't have considered the additional weight and force that a swing adds. If you were to contact the manufacturer, they would undoubtedly say that adding the swing to the beam is not an option.

Space might be limited, but I recommend you consider a standalone frame such as the Plum 3 In 1 Wooden Growing Swing Set.

Sensational Bonsai collection, by the way!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @cafelah 

Any grassed areas on your property?

Kids do fall of swings - the area above looks very unforgiving. 🤕

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects