Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add new window and door on veranda?

hugo2022
Finding My Feet

How to add new window and door on veranda?

2751E8CC-5B1E-4BCD-8413-BA328204DF88.jpeg

41C6B0F1-C14B-414B-9A00-411EF9F2F404.jpeg

Hi All,

My house was build on late 30s and has a small veranda at the front, was planning to enclose the area to give it some use as it gets dirty and we never use it. I am put it a double glazed window and a new double glazed door .. these two will wait at least 200-300kg (all together) I was wondering if adding too much weight to these area will cause any movement at the front of the house, has anyone done these on their houses..

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to add new window and door on veranda?

Hi @hugo2022,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have decided to join us and ask about your front veranda conversion. Our resident DIY guru @EricL will be online later this afternoon so let me tag @JDE and @woodalwaysworks as they have used double-glazed windows in the past and may have some advice on their weight and how it might contribute to house movement. 

Please keep us updated on the progress and post your after photos when complete. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hugo2022

Thank you for sharing your question about adding windows and doors to your veranda. If the door and the door frame will be sitting on the foundation slab of the building there should be no issue with its weight being at the front. However, if it is just sitting on bricks that have no foundation support beneath it, there is a possibility that it will shift during its lifetime. 

To be on the safe side, I recommend engaging the services of a structural engineer who'll be able to tell from your house plans if the veranda can take the extra weight you're about to add to it. 

Let me call on our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

306E9D67-BB24-4FEE-B746-36D439F69351.jpeg

  

Hi Eric,

thanks for you reply, I thought about that but the house was built in the 1930’s and when I got the house I didn’t get the house plans (I don’t even know how to get them), I took a picture under the house, not sure if this will be ok .. also this house is built on Pilars.. there’s not slap (it was built in the 1930’s) see picture 

4A6D88DD-E893-45E9-BE43-685A8574AEDB.jpeg

8FE7CEAE-2746-4284-955F-88288F456B4A.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hugo2022

Thanks for posting those extra photos of the wall. From a practical standpoint, bricks are able to carry a lot of weight. If the foundation of that wall was deep enough it would possibly be able to carry the extra weight of the door and windows. Unfortunately, the only way to find out would be to dig at the front of the brick wall and see just how far the footing of the brick goes.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects