Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add paving to driveway?

paulabr20
Just Starting Out

How to add paving to driveway?

I have been advised to add some pavers to my driveway grass to help the wheels of my swinging gate track over the driveway. 

Currently the grass is lower than the concrete driveway path and the wheels on the gate get stuck getting up over edge ledge from the grass in between.  See pictures for reference. The pavers would only go as far as needed for the wheels to track over. Not all the way up the driveway. 

What kind of pavers should I use and how do I install them? Do I need gravel under the pavers? Best way to measure height of pavers needed? See photo for placement reference. 

F9D7773E-56BD-43FC-BDCC-73867AB590F2.jpeg

note the pavers won’t actually be weight bearing unless on the odd occasion someone drives off the path accidentally. 

B304B389-30D9-4148-8421-E62856A8324C.jpeg

449B561B-9302-4AFF-AAE5-FC456298765B.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add paving to driveway?

Hello @paulabr20

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your driveway paving project.

Your first assessment is correct, if the grass is lower than the current driveway you'll need to add gravel to increase the height of the paving block you'll be using. In this particular instance, since you are not driving over the paver it won't be necessary to go overboard on the preparation of the area to be paved. I recommend using Brighton Masonry 400 x 400 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Paver along with Ki-Carma 20kg 10-20mm Drainage Gravel or similar.

Measure out the space you wish to cover with the pavers, use a builders line and some timber sticks to mark the area where you'll need to remove the turf. Once you've removed the turf, fill the area with drainage gravel and some Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand or similar. Use a Trojan 205mm Tamper or hire a small compactor to level the area. 

I recommend testing the paver to make sure that it levels off with your driveway. You can keep adding sand or gravel until you reach the proper height. Once you've reached the correct level, I suggest testing the gate over the pavers to make sure it swings over them without too much effort.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to pave a pathway

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to add paving to driveway?

Eric thank you for your detailed response. I feel pretty confident in doing this now. Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects