Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to afix timber to brick?

mygirls2
Just Starting Out

How to afix timber to brick?

Morning all

Am wanting to fix a timber beam to the exterior brick wall at the rear of my house for a feature pergola, the timber would be 250x50 about 5.4 long. My bricks are not solid would this be an issue. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to afix timber to brick?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mygirls2. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching timber to a brick wall.

Before building your pergola or deck, you’ll need to check whether you need building approval from your local council. Different councils have different regulations when it comes to structure, materials and building standards. 

Whether you can attach it to the brick wall is dependent on the wall's construction. If it's brick veneer, you can not use it to support the pergola's weight and instead, it should be connected to your roof structure with fascia extenders or roof brackets.

Do you happen to know what type of construction the wall is? If in doubt it would be best to enlist the services of an engineer to determine whether fixing directly to the brick is possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects