Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to anchor a screening frame in front of a colorbond fence?

Clai8277
Getting Established

How to anchor a screening frame in front of a colorbond fence?

I’m looking to create a screen wall against a colour bond fence but need to support the weight with anchors. I Had thought I’d use half stirrup anchors but just realised the hole to drill into the timber frame are too high.... any suggestions? Am I using the wrong product to support the weight of the frame? 

I planned to use 300mm half stirrups which I’d concreted in and a 200mm version drilled into a exisiting concrete slab at one point of the fence. Framing timber is 70 x 30.

985F0DCC-7B93-44FE-BBCA-1EE507F084E7.jpeg

24BAC3F2-832F-425F-A009-C579F3A24A5C.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to anchor a frame in front of a colorbond fence

There are a few options that I can see;

1) if the height of bottom of the screen isn't critical place some timber blocks in the stirrups to lift your support rail up to where you can bolt it in. 

2) if the height of that rail is critical, make up a right angle plate that you can screw to the top of the timber and bolt it to the stirrups through holes aligned to those in the stirrups. 

(If don't want it to show, use a straight plate and notch it into the side of the support rail.)

3) Drill some new holes in the stirrups and put some short bolts and nuts in the existing holes as visual dummies.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Clai8277. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @TedBear. I'd agree that if the height of that bottom rail is not critical, then you could raise it with blocks. If you were able to use Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm placed on the 45mm side, then only a small plastic wedge would need to be used. Can I also please confirm that you are using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 35mm and not 70 x 35mm MGP10 UT Pine Timber Framing. It might just be the photo, but the timber looks to be untreated. This might not be the case, but I want to make sure you are using a treated H3 grade timber as normal pine will rot quickly outside.

Please let us know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your replies Mitchell and @TedBear ! I will attempt to drill through and make new holes at the lower level I think and yes, I am using 70x35 H3 framing timber.

cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How's your project coming along @Clai8277?

I'm keen to see your results as I have a similar screening job coming up. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or would like to share some finished project images.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

Yes the screen is up! I built the 6 metre frame and then attached to the stirrups by drilling new holes.  I used brackets to fix the top to the fence extension for stability.

BA0B34A3-7663-490C-B0DC-72FC4D5DC009.jpeg

01D035BB-5029-4B4D-9023-9D04BE452EDE.jpeg

C189BB21-7460-4D93-B390-CE9EB3EF2C4E.jpeg

89542BD9-466C-46C1-9FE8-4573F26024EB.jpeg

E913AAFB-C902-4923-AF69-B8798D82F664.jpeg

Now onto the landscaping!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks amazing, @Clai8277! Well done, I trust you a very excited how that turned out.

Many thanks for sharing your update and images, I can't wait to follow along with the rest of the landscaping. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects