Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Merbau batten screen to paling fence?

Dbanger
Getting Established

How to attach Merbau batten screen to paling fence?

Hi all, I have made 3x 900 X 2400 merbau Batten screens Each one weighs about 30kgs.

I want to fix them to a treated pine timber paling fence, but after making them I'm a bit concerned about the weight and if the fence post and rails will take the load ? 

Or should I build a frame that is secured to both the fence and the concrete below ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach Merbau batten screen to paling fence?

Hello @Dbanger

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about attaching your Merbau screen to your fence.

Before I offer any recommendations. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your fence? This will give our members an idea of its current condition. We can then make suggestions and recommendations on how to attach your Merbau screen. You're right to give this matter a bit of thought, adding extra weight to your fence will sometimes have consequences. Making a frame or having independent footing could be the way to go.  I look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dbanger
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply 

Fence is only 3 months, but the way they installed that post with a bit of rapid set and dirt doesn't full me with confidence.

I'm think I build a frame that is  attached to the concrete, the brick garage and the fence 

IMG20220105173509.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dbanger

Having had a look at your photo, I agree with your assessment. If the fence foundation is very light, I suggest building a separate frame for your panels rather than putting all the weight on your new fence. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Merbau screens installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dbanger
Getting Established

IMG20220111202919.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dbanger

Thank you for posting the photo update of your Merbau fence screen. It's looking very good, those lights you've placed behind the screen make it look very posh. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the Merbau screening complete. 

Eric             

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects