Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach handle on old meat cleaver?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to attach handle on old meat cleaver?

I'm looking to restore the handle on a very old meat cleaver. I was thinking of a bolt attachment method as drawn below. Allen key and countersunk both ends with a telescoping action as the barrel end is threaded. Sure I saw these somewhere? Bunnings?

Thanks for looking.

Something like this.Something like this.

20220721_080901.jpg

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to attach handle on old meat cleaver?

@Noyade 

I'm sure you could reuse the wooden handles without having to get quite so detailed and drill three holes in line with the three holes on the steel handle and counter sink the head and nut slightly of a small bolt like a coach bolt or allen key bolt head and use the appropriate tool depending on the head used so you can actually do the bolt up and obviously a nut on the other side but slightly counter sink your holes so they didn't protrude beyond the wooden handle if there is sufficient meat so to speak in the depth of the wood?

Cheers,

Barbara.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

The closest set I could find is the Taskmaster M5 Chicago Screw Connector - 12 pack. You'll need to trim the bolt and receiver down to reduce the distance between the screws. There are also some furniture screws that work in the same manner, but they are very thick and would protrude past the handles. 

Just an observation, the timber handles look great, but it seems you've got some borer holes in them. I recommend dropping in some insecticide in the holes before you paint over them just to be safe. 

We look forward to seeing your meat cleaver rejuvenated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Baretta11 

"obviously a nut on the other side"

Thanks for you suggestion above - but I would for aesthetic reasons prefer not to see a nut.

I was inspired by the Stanley Fat Max wrecking bar and hoping to emulate it.

20220721_152328.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL 

Yes, that's the sort of look I'm after. Unfortunately my local Bunnings is out of stock.

If borers want my handle - they can have it. The wood is 25 years old and I thought the little holes look 'rustic.' 😁

For the moment - they're glued and one side has the three location holes drilled - hopefully for the bolts you mentioned.

Cheers.

20220721_150951.jpg

EDIT : 1700 HRS - Nearly sunset. I continued sanding and inserted a Plasticine Epoxy between the wood and steel on the top of the handle. I'm just using Linseed Oil on the wood.

20220721_165615.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I look forward to seeing it fully restored complete with the rustic enhancements.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Eric - I ain't much of a restorer - I tend to "butcher" things.

I had some amazing success at Bunnings yesterday - a young staff member there deserves to be employee of the year. It would appear (at my Bunnings store) they no longer carry "Task Master" products. Despite Taskmaster M5 Chicago Screw Connector - 12 pack being on the Bunnings website they no longer stock or display them. But she remembered seeing them in boxes that required a cherry-picker to access them. She said they were to be distributed to other stores (what does that mean?) or maybe one day end up on the clearance desk. So I was lucky to get a packet.

If you read the reviews - one customer points out they're not M5 as indicated on the packet. He's absolutely right. They are in fact a rather fragile M4 thread - easily stripped if you're not careful.

20220722_121417.jpg

Interestingly once a lotta rust was removed - the blade is British.

William Gilpin Wedges Mills

http://trowelcollector.blogspot.com/2016/11/history-of-william-gilpin-wedges-mills.html

W.Gilpin.W.Gilpin.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great restoration @Noyade!

Likely, the item is no longer ranged at that specific Bunnings location. Their stock will be transferred to a store that will continue to carry the item.

I'd be keen to get further details on the team member who assisted you and provide feedback on their excellent service. I'll reach out via private message.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Thought I'd just let you know that I passed on your feedback about Amber at Bunnings Wagga Wagga. Her Coordinator was thrilled to hear about the exceptional service you received and will be passing on our thanks to her.

We really appreciate the feedback.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

That's really good of you to do that! - she deserves it. 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects