Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach panels to Colorbond fence?

peggysue
Getting Established

How to attach panels to Colorbond fence?

IMG_6132.jpeg

After some advice on how to put artificial fern panels onto a colorbond fence . Measuring 5m wide x 2 m tall.

Ive been told I need to be careful about the weight that will be going on the fence .

Thanks 

Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

Re: how to attach articial panel to colorbond fence

For a solution that is non permanent and won’t leave any holes in your fence I would try looking at outdoor double sided tape. There are various weight limits across the range, try here:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/general-hardware/hooks/double-sided-tape
Good luck!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach panels to Colorbond fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @peggysue. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging items on a Colorbond fence.

It's great to see that @Bomber25 has provided a helpful response. They are likely correct that double-sided tape would do a reasonable job.

Do you have any idea how much these panels weigh? Typically the ones I've handled are very lightweight, and you shouldn't have any issue hanging them on a Colorbond fence.

I'd recommend placing some horizontal timber batons across the Colorbond panel and screwing them into the upright posts. You can then affix your fern panels to the timberwork. You can screw into the upright posts with Tek screws. Make sure to pre-drill the timber so it doesn't split. The reason for adding the timber is so you have far more points you can attach the fern panels and won't need to drill into the panel itself.

As long as you use a reasonable calibre timber like 66 x 42mm 6.0m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP it should cope fine with that span. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
peggysue
Getting Established

Re: how to attach articial panel to colorbond fence

Thanks for your response. I’m thinking tape might not be strong enough as I’ll be putting 10 panels of fern onto the fence . I will definitely have a look in store though . Thanks again 

Thanks for your reply . I was just in Bunnings and someone suggested I could use lattice . If I got 4 pieces of lattice and screwed into the top of the fence and the bottom then attached the artificial panels to that do you think that would be ok in terms of weight on the fence ? Otherwise the double sided tape is my back up option . Thanks 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @peggysue 

I can't visualise these fern panels? Patterned metal?

Just a quick lunchtime thought.

Could you screw an upturned galvanised metal fence railing onto the rebated sleepers seen in your photo above, which then becomes a 'shoe' for the bottom of the panels?

Minimal anchorage would be required at the top.

20230611_121930.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Using lattice sounds like a great idea, @peggysue. I don't believe the combined weight of the lattice and panels would come anywhere near the capacity of the fence.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
peggysue
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply . The panels are plastic that measure 900 x 900 . I’ll be putting up 10 in total . The fence is 1800 tall . 

Thanks so much for answering. Thinking this might look cleaner . 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects