Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

littlediyman
Finding My Feet

How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

Hi All, 

Just wanted to know what I can use to attach a shade sail from the roof side (I was planning to use a fixing of some type to fix under the gutter area shown in picture 2) to the top rail of the colourbond fence (shown in picture 3).

Picture 3Picture 3Any help would be great as its my first DIY project in the home.

Picture 1Picture 1

Picture 3Picture 3

Picture 2Picture 2

Re: How to attach shade cloth from roof side to colourbond fence

Creating a hooped shade roof with the poly pipe sounds like a great idea, @Old-gal24. Please keep us updated when you get time to start.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jboo
Just Starting Out

That addition  is not in the spirit  of a good neighbour. The water run off alone comes onto your side.  I'd propose to talk to the neighbour and get them to help devising  a mutual  solution that includes water run off. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jboo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I think it's an excellent idea to have a talk with your neighbour to discuss solutions. Let me tag @Old-gal24 to make sure they are aware of your recommendation. I often wonder how much water runoff goes on to the other side despite it being just shade cloth.

Eric

lindasma
Getting Established

Re: How to attach shade cloth from roof side to Colorbond fence?

First time user so hope this helps someone.  

I attached my shadecloth from under the gutter to my colorbond fence using 'Ezy-Fix Clip'. I thought I'd purchased it from Bunnings but that was at least 15 years ago so not positive.  There is a website though.  It's really easy to install.  The website has a video and I've only just pulled it down for fence extensions.   The only difficulty is if you have a flyscreen door.  Depending on the angle, the door will hit the shadecloth.  I originally put a nail in the eave but ended up just removing the door.   Hope this assists.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lindasma. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for taking the time to add to the discussion.

I'm sure our members in a similar situation will appreciate your recommendation. Another option that we currently range would be the V-grip system that works on a similar principle where you can fix the edge of the shade cloth.

We look forward to hearing all about the projects you have going on around your home and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Battman
Getting Established

DO NOT instal any fixings to the colourbond facia or the fence capping. Neither are load bearing in any manner and any strong wind will destroy them if you do. If you must do the job then use a very open weave cloth to reduce the sail effect with the wind, attach dyna bolt or similar fixings to the brick wall and attach fixings to only the fence posts which are concreted into the ground. For the posts drill holes right through the post so as to fit ring bolts with at least three nuts, one nut on the sails cloth side of the bolt leaving enough thread to go through the post and then put a large gal. washer, at least as wide as the post and firstly put the second nut on and tighten the whole lot firmly, then put the third nut against the second so as to lock those nuts together. (locknut). Your sail will have to be custom made and you should not try to make it yourself, unless you are qualified. It will need a lot of strengthening cord sewn into the perimeter with attachment points to match the fixings you will have installed. 
All in all a job for a professional.

Yes this is certainly an answer to the problem, but really not the sort of job for an amateur diy'er. Some 'trade' skills are required. Even then when the job is done you have a lovely valley in which to collect leaves, sticks and branches and other 'windfall' which would be very difficult to remove. Maybe a water blast from below would do the trick.
Normally the top cap on the fence is only attached by friction so a more permanent fixing to hold the cap on would be need. Do not underestimate the power of wind to lift all of this 'SAIL' and cause significant damage to the sail and surrounding structures.
As it is a permanent structure Council approval may be required.
Don.

Hi @Old-gal24. I have been searching for this very solution for some time now, and thank you for sharing this.

I wonder though how the beams are attached to both the Colourbond capping and under the gutters?

I realise that this was posted some time ago, but hope that this thread is still active and someone is able to help.

Many thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GeeVee1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Due to the level of finish on the structure, it would appear to be a manufactured product designed for this purpose. The beams are connected to the fascia with what looks to be a proprietary bracket. I can't see how they are attached to the fence; potentially, they are just sitting on it, but I suspect a hidden bracket exists.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects