Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a bench seat using hardwood panel?

walawe
Just Starting Out

How to build a bench seat using hardwood panel?

Lately, we try to utilise our alfresco area and we are thinking to build our own bench seats. Looking at Bunnings products, we are thinking to use Acacia hardwood panel (https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032) with bench legs. Does Bunnings offer cut to size with this panel?

I still have doubts if this panel is suited for bench seats. And for bench legs, we are looking at something similar to this: RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Cusco Steel Tube Table Furniture Leg - Bunnings Australia (except lower). Any feedback is welcome. TIA.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a bench seat using hardwood panel?

It's wonderful to have you join us @walawe. Sounds like a great project.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help with your questions about this project panel when he's back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, check out these step-by-step guides to building your own bench seat:

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @walawe.

Is your alfresco area undercover? You could use the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel and RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Cusco Steel Tube Table Furniture Legs out in the weather. Still, I wouldn't say that either was ideal for the total weather exposure. The timber panel comes with oil on it, which will protect the timber to a certain extent if you routinely apply maintenance coats. However, the legs are relatively thin steel covered by paint. The only thing stopping the legs from rusting is the paint coating, and if it gets scratched at all, the legs will start to deteriorate.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and whether your alfresco area is enclosed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc.

Alfresco is enclosed with mesh blinds so there is exposure to sun light and (may be water during heavy rain).

Does Bunnings offer cut to size service for the acacia panel? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like your Alfresco area is out of the weather, which is fantastic @walawe

We are unable to cut those panel products for you in-store, but you should find these guides useful:

The directions given in the last two articles on cutting laminate and bamboo benchtops will be the same as cutting your acacia panel. A fine-toothed blade in a circular saw will give you fantastic results. Just make sure to take your time with the cut.

Please let us know if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects