Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cubby house base?

Takatala
Finding My Feet

How to build a cubby house base?

cubby.png

Hi, we’ve purchased a 2 level cubby house from kidzshack - fun shack with mud kitchen. Basically it’s a raised cubby house with a little kitchen underneath. We are installing in what is currently a grassed area of our backyard but know it needs to be on pavers in order to prevent rot. 

I am a complete newbie and have no idea how to do this. Do I cut away the grass and just place pavers? Do I need to get paving sand or anything down? How do I ensure it’s even? 

I have bought large rubber mats for inside the bottom kitchen and for under the ladder/slide. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a cubby house base?

Hello @Takatala

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to build a cubby house base.

Your idea is spot on. You'll need to cut the grass off and place weed mat before putting the pavers on top. This will prevent grass from growing in between the pavers. This would be the simplest way to set up a base for the cubby house. However, if you wish to have a sand base for the pavers, you'll need to make a timber frame based on the size of the pavers. Place the sand inside your frame and spread it out using a rake, you then level it by using a compactor. Please make sure that it has a slope in it, so that water will not sit in the middle of the area should it rain. 

Once you've compacted the area, you can then lay the pavers on top of the sand. The advantage of having a sand base is that you'll be able to create a flat-level surface. This is based on the idea that you will be covering the entire bottom area of the cubby house. It sounds like a great project. Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

Here are some step-by-step guides:

Let me tag our paving wizard @Yorky88 for his recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for your advice. We sourced some “seconds” pavers from a local paving place for $1 each (seconds meaning imperfections in colour not in size or function). My future BIL came over to help us out. We ended up digging up the lawn, laying dolomite, laying bastion concrete,  setting pavers then sweeping dried sand over the top. We used 80 240x240x50 pavers and the cubby is being built this afternoon. One snag in our prep is that I stacked the painted cubby pieces for ease of finding the right piece etc and despite them having been painted weeks ago the paint stuck together and has come away as we separated the pieces. Will need touching up for sure- so angry at myself for that one! 

C37F0FC6-8547-4DD6-A15B-C7577BFF57B2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome work @Takatala! Great job sourcing those pavers. They look like beauties for a dollar each. You can't beat that value.

I'm sorry to hear about your painting mishap. Don't be too hard on yourself. That sounds like an easy mistake that anyone could make.

Please keep us updated. We can't wait to see the finished result.

Mitchell

6D898EA8-41DA-4542-A296-50834AFE712C.jpeg

Thanks Mitchell,

It’s mostly complete with just a couple of finishing touches to go in, tape to remove and paint to touch up. It took 4 guys 4 hours to build

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's sensational, @Takatala. I trust you're thrilled with how it's turned out, and no doubt your little one/s will be so excited to play on it.

Great work once again, and we look forward to your next project. Reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects