Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a driveway gate on a slope?

Offsett
Finding My Feet

How to build a driveway gate on a slope?

Hi everyone i really need directions on how to tackle my driveway gate so the measurements are

W - 4000mm

L - 900mm

The problem is my driveway is not straight across its on an angle and has a slight slope aswell i need to put a gate so my dogs dont run out to the road as i cant afford to buy a gate or have someone come and install one so my only option is to diy one myself your help will be much appreciated 

16331599547939196067263390715354.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: driveway gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Offsett. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on gate construction.

My first thoughts are that if you intend to create hinged gates, you'll need to split the four-metre length and have two gates. Four metres is too far to span for a D.I.Y. gate and would normally require something that is fully welded, akin to farm gates. The other option is a sliding gate.

You might be surprised at the cost of a functional farm-style gate. The RapidMesh 3600 x 1180mm Silver Farm Gate is quite reasonably priced and only 400mm less than your required gap. The 90 x 90mm post and Whites Ring Gate Latch Set can be spaced to fill that gap.

The post would be placed on the high side of the driveway, and any gap underneath can be filled by Tek screwing a timber board to the bottom of the gate cut to an appropriate angle to suit the slope.

If you wished to construct the gate yourself, you could use the Fortress Gates frame system. However, by the time you clad it with timber, you'll be looking at a substantially higher cost than the farm gate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Could the fame gate be converted to a sliding gate?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Potentially, it could with some work. You'd need to use various parts from our sliding gate range. A track would need to be mounting onto the ground and track wheels to the underside of the gate. You then need some way of stopping the gate from falling over, which is done with a guide fitted with a Richmond 30mm x M12 Nylon Sliding Gate Roller. Due to their nature, slide gates require a portion of their length to be retained so the guide can stop them from falling over. This might pose an issue since the gate is already shorter than your desired span. 

Mitchell

Oh ok god i hate this driveway of mine why does it have to be 4000mm only if there was a way to shorten it some 🤔 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Offsett

You could add a fence on the right and drop the gate back to run perpendicular to the drive. However, you'll likely lose that parking space on the grass, and I can't see that being a cheaper alternative.

Mitchell

Fence.png

Thats a good idea thanks heaps mitch

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects