Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck on concrete slab?

Pablo1
Just Starting Out

How to build a low-level deck on concrete slab?

Would like to build a low deck over concrete slab that adjoins house. About 2.4 x 8 meters. Main issue I have is that the height from the slab to floor level is only 140mm. Was originally thinking of bearers supported on brackets so they are just off the concrete.  Any suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck structure

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pablo1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a low-level deck.

I'd start your project by reading through How to build a low-level deck and then check out some of the many deck projects our members have created over a concrete slab.

140mm working height is fairly standard for many of these low-level deck projects over concrete. You'll need 90mm of that height for your joists and 19mm for the decking. That leaves you with 31mm of space under your joists. You'll find the typical method our members use for mounting their joists are L brackets.

It sounds like you're on the right track.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects