Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a paling fence

raymondo
Building a Reputation

How to build a paling fence

HI team...

I want to build a basic paling fence, as in a typical dividing fence between properties.  I'm wondering if there are a set of guidelines for such.

It's only 5.5 meters long and preferably 1.8 meters high.

e.g. timber sizes, upright spacing, etc;

thanks

ray

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a paling fence

Hi Ray (@raymondo),

You're in luck as we have a complete step-by-step guide on How to build a fence. Typically, on a fence up to 1.8m high, the fence posts would be spaced between 2m and 2.7m. You'd be right on the 2.7m cusp, having one at either end and one in the middle. For a slightly more sturdy fence, you might like to place one at either end, one at 1.8m and one at 3.6m. 600mm of your post will be in the ground, so 100 x 100mm 2.4m Mixed Hardwood Posts would suit a 1.8m high fence. 

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymondo
Building a Reputation

Thanks for that Mitchell...  I don't know how I missed that. I searched for existing material but clearly missed this. 

The videos are clear and straightforward..

The only things missing, are timber sizes. I liked your suggestions, but maybe the video site, could include a short table of correct timber names and recommended sizes. 

e.g. Railings  (what kind of  timber and size are they?)

This just helps when turning up at Bunnings to know what to ask or look for.

Otherwise... all good. 

raymondo
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell..

I have seen several construction tutorials for pailing fence, advocating different size railings for top, middle and bottom. 

What is the guideline here?

One site says, 75 x 50mm for top and bottom... another says 75 x 50mm middle with 75 x 38 top and bottom.. It's a bit confusing.

The only railing on Bunnings catalogue is 72 x 38  https://www.bunnings.com.au/72-x-47mm-5-4m-premium-treated-pine-h3-cca-fence-rail_p0121161

and it's out of stock anyhow.

I'm definitely going with a height of 2.1 m. 

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It might just be a case that no building code specifies a specific railing size for building a boundary fence, @raymondo. Or that all your sources are specifying dimensions above what is required. As with any guide, you'll find differences depending on who created it. I'd suggest selected one from a reputable source and sticking with it.

The railing on the Bunnings Website is 72 x 47mm, so they are all in a similar ballpark. You might like to check with the Special Order team at your local store, as they could be able to order that timber for you or source it from another store. Alternatively, the helpful team members in the timber section should be able to provide alternatives. There is nothing special about products that are sold as fence rails. Any H3 grade timber in a suitable size can be used. I'd suggest using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 45mm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymondo
Building a Reputation

Thanks for that..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects