Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a vertical garden?

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

How to build a vertical garden?

Hi,

im planning on making a vertical garden,

on the photo below i was thinking of having steel post on each side, use cement as base foundation
then use some sort of cable suspension(green lines),

then have peg board or mesh grid placed on the wires

then small garden pot hooked onto the board or grid.

so the question is would the wires be able to support the weight?

any other suggestion to improve this as well please

also the length from post to post is around 4.6m apart

thank you in advance

VERTICAL GARDEN.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vertical Garden Assistance

Hi @kelso101,

By using turnbuckles you can pull wire exceptionally tight, so I would presume that your idea will work. However, I'd need to know more about the pegboard you were thinking of using and the overall weight of the pots and plants. I suspect there might be an easier way to go about this. Have you seen some inspirational pics that you'd like to achieve? If so, please post them, and I can outlay a simple way to replicate the project. You might like to check out @Karl1's Vertical herb garden on reinforcing mesh and @BrendanB's Vertical garden and Merau planter boxes

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Re: Vertical Garden Assistance

Hi Mitchell,

Sorry late reply,

I was thinking of like a light screen board or some sort that i can hook

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-30-x-14cm-concrete-grey-vertical-garden-pot_p0262812  This or similar

Or even a mesh grid I was thinking.

I dont know the overall weight as of yet

Sorry still on planning and trying to get good ideas to be able to secure, stable and hold those herb planters

Thanks in advance

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build a vertical garden?

Hello @kelso101 

Verticle gardens have always caught my attention. I really like the idea of using maximum space.

Thats a fair span between posts and a lot of tension would be between them especiallly hanging a quantity of anything off the wires.

Would you change your thoughts on the disance of the span or maybe even using Builders concrete mesh between posts to support the hanging garden? That way you could loop the hooks over it and it would not sag. You would have to have some rails tho as it would want to flex. 

I like the way you have sketched it while figuring what you want. I have a notebook full of ideas. Some make it, some fade into the backgrund but all go towards the next idea.

Would eb interesting to see what you decide to do.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101,

I think the project Vertical herb garden on reinforcing mesh best illustrates what you are trying to achieve. As @Dave-1 mentioned, that is a fair distance between posts, and I think you should consider adding additional posts to minimise the span. 

If you could reduce the overall distance to 3600mm, you'd only need one post in the middle and two outside posts. You could use two sections of Jack 1800 x 1050 x 5mm Light Duty Reo Mesh. I'd still recommend that you run a timber support at the top and bottom of the mesh that it can be secured to. This will prevent the weight of the plants from distorting the mesh. I've created the rendering below to ilustrate.

Mitchell

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell and dave1,

Ill give both suggestions a look at looks more stable with a 3rd post and builders concrete mesh.

With the timber support from your drawing is that screwed to metal post or slided in?

With the 2 steel post on the outer sides would 75mm x 75mm be a good dimension to use or would I need to go bigger or smaller?

Thanks in advance 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @kelso101 

I think it would depend on what type of posts you lay your hands on. My first thought was using fencing posts as they have the channel inside them ect? 

For the size of the mesh id keep an eye out on what is around. Also if you want builders mesh (will look rusty) or Gal mesh which is coated and wont rust. I use Gal mesh for my gabion baskets when building walls and they have not rusted yet. The two steel posts with that width in them I think will cause issue slongterm (sagging of the middle and also the posts slowly tilting off verticle. Is there a reason you want only two posts? If you can only have two posts then the top rails and bottom rails I would make sure dont flex so somthing like an "L" shape with timber to stop the bending.

Dave

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Hi Dave,

What do you mean channel on the post? Like a way to slide timber is that what you mean?

Sorry I am also having a 3 post in the middle, was just thinking of having the middle one larger dimension is all. 

Yea might look into gal mesh to last for rainy season

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@kelso101 

The fencing post I was think of (outside the square and prob recomended use) is

colourbond fencing post 2400mm 

And was thinking more to fit the steel miss in place. and then use this for the bottom rail and top

Fencing Rail 

So that instead of the colourbond fencing itself you use the steel mesh for hanging your baskets.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101 

I believe the wire mesh @MitchellMc mentioned would need to be screwed onto the post. Having had a look at your initial drawing, the wires would be ideal for plants to climb on, but if you use the Jack 30 x 14cm Concrete Grey Vertical Garden Pot there will be nothing for the bottom part of the planter to lean on and it will tip over.

However, using the wire mesh will give the garden pot something to lean on. You can test this at the store by getting one of the pots and hanging it on the Jack 1800 x 1050 x 5mm Light Duty Reo Mesh

As for the posts, I recommend getting something strong like a 100 x 100mm 3.0m H4 Treated Pine Post. It will be able to hold a large number of pots and can support the wire mesh at the same time. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects