Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an outdoor bench?

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

How to build an outdoor bench?

Hi,

I am looking at building an outdoor bench 3.5 m wide. I will be building 3 x stud frames using 70 x 35 treated pine. One in the front of the seat, one at the back of the seat and one for the seating. To build the frame, which screws would you advise please? Should I use 14g 75m bugle head gal screws or can I get away with 10g buildex 65mm screws for attaching the vertical support timber pieces to the outside frame? Please refer to the sample photo attached

20210903_002853.jpg

Thanks,
Tej

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor bench

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tejmankar. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about fixing sizes.

Using Zenith, 14G x 75mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws would be a solid choice for this type of build. Their thick gauge and reasonably long length will add a great deal of rigidity to the project. I'd stick with the 75mm screws as 35mm through the timber, and 40mm into what you're fixing to is a good amount.

We'll be looking forward to following along with your build. Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell,

Appreciate the guidance. I will pre drill to avoid splitting the timber. Would you still recommend two on each side of the stud please? 

Thanks,

Tej

@tejmankar,

Pre-drilling is certainly a good idea. I would recommend two screws per join as it will stop the timber twisting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

20210915_082914.jpg

I went with a combination of 14 x 75 and 10 x75 both diagonal to each other. Uploading a photo of the progress so far. Thank you all for the help. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects