Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an unusual shaped deck?

Katie3
Just Starting Out

How to build an unusual shaped deck?

Hi everyone

We are looking to build a small triangle low level deck to bridge a gap between two sliding doors (max height 220mm). It would be a right angle triangle (two sides 1500mm and the hypotenuse 2121mm). We want to hang the joists off the bearers to allow some ventilation space underneath. However, one side of each joist will be on a 45% angle. 

We can't seem to locate skewed joist hangers on the Bunnings website. Does anyone know of an alternative - would ledger strips be ok given the size and height of the deck. Any other feedback welcome. I should add, we don't want to do a square deck as it will eat up too much play space in our small yard. 

thanks, Katie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an unusual shaped deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Katie3. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

You don't actually need to use hangers, and you can just screw the joists into the frame. I'm not aware of any hangers that are skewed. If you pre-drill and countersink the screws, you'll be able to achieve the angle you need. I'm not entirely sure where the 45 degrees would be on one end of each joist. If it were a 1500 x 1500mm deck, there would be a 45-degree join, but as you have one long side, that affects the connection angle. You might be thinking of a different method of constructing the deck to me, though.

I've created a series of renderings below to illustrate how I would construct the deck. You can use pedestal feet to elevate the frame to your desired height.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Screw1.pngScrew2.pngDecknew.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects