Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build low-level deck?

MAK
Finding My Feet

How to build low-level deck?

Hello,

I'm looking to build a low level deck with a max height of 150mm. The deck will be built on a existing concrete slab and will be 5950mm long x 4290mm wide.

From what I have researched I will need to build the structure as a single layer using joist hangers.

My question is - what size joists will I need and what can I use as bearers and at what distance are they required?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build low-level deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MAK. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your questions on deck construction.

You might like to read through @Adam_W's article on How to build a low-level deck. We'd also encourage you to look through the most popular decking projects our members have contributed.

Many of our members choose to use Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm for their joists and frame. They are connecting these to their concrete slabs with angle brackets or pedestal feet. Generally, joists are spaced at 450mm centres as any wider, and you'll experience spongy or bouncy decking boards.

We look forward to following along with your decking project. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc . 

Another question - From what I have researched I was going to add L brackets/feet every 1200mm-1300mm. Is this correct?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'd have to check timber spans tables to find the maximum span of 90 x 45mm timber @MAK. I don't like to recommend placing supports at max spans and would be more comfortable having the L brackets/feet 1000mm-1200mm apart. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects