Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to calculate how much paint to seal a roof?

iankelly
Just Starting Out

How to calculate how much paint to seal a roof?

How much asbestos cement roof sealing paint is needed to seal 140sqm of old weathered large corrugated asbestos cement roofing and how much will it cost 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: roofing painting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @iankelly. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about asbestos sealing paint.

Was there a particular product you had in mind, as I am unaware of any products specifically designed for that purpose? We carry standard exterior paints which according to documents from NSW Gov should be suitable: "Asbestos sheeting (such as fibro) and corrugated asbestos (walls, fences and roofing) can be sealed with good quality paint." However, in order to paint a roof you would need to prepare the surface thoroughly so the paint can sufficiently bond to it.

One litre of paint typically covers eight square meters with two coats. So for 140sqm, you'd need approximately 18 litres. Two ten-litre containers would likely do the job for you depending on the sheeting porosity.

You might also like to check out this discussion: Where might you find asbestos in your home?

It's advised that when the asbestos can be removed it should be. So, I'd recommend you seek professional assistance with your project and if the sheeting can't be removed, seal it with products designed for that purpose.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects