Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to calculate materials for deck build?

Avi1
Just Starting Out

How to calculate materials for deck build?

Hi,

I am building an outdoor deck. Would anyone be able to advice when you ordering materials (eg, timber) how you convert linear meters to sqm so you order the right quantity?

thanks so much

Avi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on measurement

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Avi1. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on calculating decking.

I presume you want to calculate how much decking you'll need, given you're asking for square meters. You can work it out yourself by dividing the width of the deck by the width of your decking board. You'll then also need to account for the 3-5mm gap between each board. However, there are decking calculators which will do the math for you.

You should find these guides by @Adam_W useful: How to build a low-level deck and How to select decking timber

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Advice on measurement

A linear meter is used to measure only one side of an object: its length, width or height. A measurement in square meters calculates the flat area a shape covers. A linear metre cannot be converted to Square metres.

The decking calculator supplied by @MitchellMc does a nice job 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects