Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to calculate materials for shed build?

Paul8
Finding My Feet

How to calculate materials for shed build?

Hi All

The first time I will attempt to build a structure, my question is how to calculate materials I need to build a shed for storage in metric.

I also want to make sure that the subfloor will hold heavy items, so I need to use the correct materials. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to calculate materials for shed build?

Hello @Paul8

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about building a shed.

If you are storing heavy items on your shed floor I suggest getting a cement base. There are many choices for steel sheds and timber sheds. However, if you are planning on building your own I suggest going to your local council to get a list of their regulations when planning on building a shed. Each state has its own rules regarding the size and height of a shed. 

Would it be possible for you to post a plan for your shed?  By looking at your plans our members can make recommendations on what materials to use.

Here is one of our popular featured projects: Studio and shed in the making by @DIYgals

Let me tag our experienced member @JDE for their recommendations.

We look forward to seeing the plans for your shed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Paul8

Having just completed 2 sheds. First a kit from greater value sheds 6x6.5m colourbond on a concrete slab - my workshop. Second 6.5x7.5m from scratch my design fibro weatherboard around timber frame on concrete slab - wifes art studio. If you are using it for storage building a steel framed shed kit is from my experience quicker, easier and cheaper. For heavy items concrete is probably best Concrete slabs here in Tamworth NSW run at about 100 - 110 dollars m2 for a standard 100mm thick raft. If you buy a kit they normally come with the engineers specs you need to get through council and some suppliers will at a cost even do your council submission. While building a shed from scratch is not that hard, draw yourself a plan then break that down into individual walls, roof etc make a materials list and then off to Bunnings and cost it out, getting past council can be a pain. While wall frames are simple if you are doing a gable or hip roof I would suggest getting a truss place to make them again they come with engineers specs for council. If you can stay below size requiring council approval then cladding on a simple frame becomes a much better proposition. How big a shed are you thinking? Im about to help a friend who only needs a smaller" shed 3mx3m and in his case we are using a garden shed around $800 from Bunnings and using pallets (free check facebook) with sheets of ply on top of them for heavier stuff bolted to shelving bolted to walls. I his case no council approval needed and he can take it with him when he moves.

JDE

Paul8
Finding My Feet

Hi JDE

I hope you are well. Thank you for your response; great information. 

Regards

Paul

Take care & stay safe 

Paul8
Finding My Feet

Thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects