Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean mortar stains off brickwork?

zepplin
Just Starting Out

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to clean mortar stains off brickwork?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @zepplin. We're delighted to have you join us. 

My apologies for the slow response to your question. Can I please request you to post some photos of those mortar stains and the surrounding area? This will enable our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL and other members to get a better idea of what you're dealing with and enable them to provide more tailored advice suited to your needs.

Do let me know if you need a hand uploading photos. Happy to assist. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zepplin 

My apologies for the late reply. Depending on how bad the mortar stains are, I suggest trying standard cleaning methods first with water and detergent in combination with a scrub brush. If the stains are persistent, I recommend using Chemtech 1L Brick Tile And Paver Cleaner. A lot of trades people use this product to clean mortar and concrete slurry. Please note that this is a concentrate and must be diluted before use. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the cleaning product. Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions printed at the back of the bottle.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Scarab
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

I have a similar issue. Mortar was repaired on a wall but the cleanup was not timely so the mortar is on the brick face - in some cases covering more than 3/8 of the face. Would wet grinding with a polystrip disc work here? I'm unsure of using a corrosive chemical as it may damage the brickwork plus the issue is an aesthetic one.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Scarab 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us. 

Wet grinding has its own set of aftereffects. If the brick face has already aged it's possible that any area that you polish will all of a sudden look fresh and brand new. The area you did not polish will have its old front finish. If that is the result, I suggest doing the entire wall to give it a uniform fresh finish. 

If you have a poly strip disc in hand, I suggest testing a small area first and see if it removes the mortar. If the brick face remains intact, then it would be worth doing the affected areas.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Scarab
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL. Good suggestion to test a small area before I go all out.

Would using the Chemtech cleaner retain some of the brick face? The wall is at least 20 years old and is red brick.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Scarab 

I suggest doing the same thing with Chemtech and that is to test a small portion of the affected bricks and see if it changes the bricks surface. Please remember that Chemtech is a concentrate and must be diluted.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Scarab
Getting Established

Hi all

Just an update....I tried a few products (didn't get the Chemtech as I had others at home). CLR didn't do a great job. Liquid Hammer worked best though it took a few tries to clean up the affected wall. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects