Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect ledger board to house

RoshanL
Finding My Feet

How to connect ledger board to house

Hi All,

I am planning to DIY deck in my backyard and I was firstly going to install 90x90 posts, but found there is a pipe running and I cannot dig near the house for the posts. Now I am leaning towards installing a ledger board attached to house. But unsure how do I attach20211101_164713.jpg20211101_164726.jpg it to the house and what size timer to use and what do I do to make sure its water safe as it is attached to house.

I have attached a photo of part of the house where the deck will get extend to. I can attach dynabolt on the alfresco tiles and fix the ledger board. however, what do I do near the part where the bricks are. my deck is going to be 19mm. 

TIA

Roshan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ledgerboard Connect to house

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RoshanL. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about ledger boards.

I've put together a rendering of how a ledger board can be attached. You either need to space it out from the bricks or install a dampcourse between them. Dynabolts are used to fix the board to the brickwork. You'll need a drill that has a hammer function.

A ledger board of 140 x 45mm would be more than adequate for your low-level deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc for your reply and the drawings. but is it ok to fix a deck over brick veener? will that cause any structural integrity issue? And I was thinking of Spacing out by using couple of washers in between brick and ledger baord.

Is it ok to choose Ramset 10 x 75mm Galvanised Dynabolt https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-75mm-galvanised-dynabolt-hex-nut-bolt_p2261563 to fix the ledgerboard?

Another thing I noticed yesterday while taking the photo is, earlier I was hoping to flush my deck with the alfresco but, I noticed from the photo that I have a weeping hole covered if I do so. Should I stay under the weep hole or is it ok to cover up the weep hole?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@RoshanL,

It depends on how high you wish to connect the board. The bricks below floor level should be load-bearing. A 75mm Dynabolt through a 45mm piece of timber would only leave 30mm of the bolt in the wall. You be better off with a 100mm Ankascrew

The alternative is to set your footers out away from the wall so they clear the pipe. You could counter-lever the deck back to the wall which would prevent you from having to cover the weeper hole.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc. about counter-lever i have never come around that. Do you have an example of what it means? And how to achieve that?

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RoshanL

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of where the weep holes are? Can you also please put a tape measure next to the weep hole so that we may see how far off the ground they are? Our members will then have an idea of its position and offer you suggestions on how to layout your frame. This would also be a good time to draw out your proposed plan. This will give us more information as to how you plan on laying your deck panels. I'll be sure to double-check with @MitchellMc when he comes back on Friday. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your plan.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects