Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect rectangular down pipe with circular in ground pipe?

dmdwhite
Growing in Experience

How to connect rectangular down pipe with circular in ground pipe?

A14D5335-F97B-4391-8C8A-BAC229058D67.jpeg

Hello, I’m looking for suggestions for how to connect a rectangular drain down pipe (150mm x 85mm) to a round (85mm dia.) in ground pipe.  The gap between the pipes is approx 100 to 150mm and the end of the in ground pipe has been broken off hence the jagged edge.

The plastic milk bottle does a good job to direct the flow to the middle of the pipe but there must be a more elegant solution!  

Thanks for any advice. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to connect rectangular down pipe with circular in ground pipe??

Hi @dmdwhite

"(150mm x 85mm)"

Probably another illusion - but the descending portion looks square to me and you've used a 2 litre milk bottle?

One of those sides is 6 inches?

I was thinking of digging around and exposing the PVC pipe - at least that way we can repair/replace/alter that section.

I like taking photos of plumbing problems and then head down to plumbing suppliers, like Tradelink, as they always come up with solutions and I've found there's always an inquisitive plumber at the counter that likes to pitch in with advice.

There was a clever gent somewhere on this site who used a heat gun to mould a PVC pipe to fit an irregular shape. I'm wondering if 6" PVC pipe could be shrunk to fit and then with reducers eventually match your 85 mm PVC outlet (which needs to be replaced)?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dmdwhite,

It's great to see @Noyade is already on the case. All your sizes there are slightly unusual. If they were typical sizes, you'd extend the pipe up and use a Holman 100 x 80 x 90mm PVC Stormwater Downpipe Adaptor. Is the rectangular pipe 150mm or 105mm wide? 150mm wide is very wide for a downpipe. 

When there isn't a direct fitting connection, a drainage expert would take out some tin snips and cut the downpipe up the corners. They'll then bend, fold and pop rivet the pipe, reducing its size and conforming to the requirements.

Can we please confirm that the downpipe is 150mm wide? 

Have you considered installing a stormwater pit there, so the water falls into the larger opening? Or, do you want a closed connection?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dmdwhite
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Noyade and @MitchellMc, great suggestions and you’re right, the down pipe width is 105mm wide not 150mm. I’ll dig out around the in ground pipe to see if the adaptor option will work. Thanks again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @dmdwhite

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc and @Noyade. I would be interested to see what the ground pipe looks like and the amount of damage it has sustained. Does it need to be connected to the downpipe or will Mitchell's suggestion of a stormwater pit work? What is the interior/exterior size of the ground pipe? If you happen to run into any other issues, please let us know.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your downpipe repaired.

Eric

dmdwhite
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the suggestions, after a bit of digging the storm water pit seemed to be the best option and I’m happy with the result. Thanks again.32C7ED81-D45D-4D6F-90C5-74186E017D88.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great solution @dmdwhite. That looks like it will certainly do the job.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects