Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover a 1m square area with concrete?

rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

How to cover a 1m square area with concrete?

Hello Champs,

Need your help.

I would like cover a 1m x1m area with concrete. Please find picture in below. 

Could you please suggest me the available options? And how to do?

Thanks for your help.IMG_7918.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover a 1m square area with concrete?

Hello @rvkiruba 

Thanks for sharing your question about covering an open area with concrete. If the plants are staying in that area, I suggest using 100 x 15mm 2.1m Fence Paling H3 Treated Pine Wet to make a box frame so that the plants will be safe from being covered in concrete. If you are only covering it for aesthetic reasons, it will not be necessary to dig very deep. 

However, if you are driving over it, it will be necessary to dig a minimum of 100mm deep. You'll also need to use steel support and high strength concrete. Please note that it will be necessary to engage the services of a plumber to move the meter box out of the way. I don't advise driving over the meter box as it is only covered with a PVC enclosure.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to pour a concrete slab by @tom_builds (the steps taken are applicable to your project.)

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @rvkiruba,

Can you please let us know what is your goal for this project? It might help members to provide more helpful advice. 

Thanks,

Jason

rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

Thanks EricL and Jason.

My bad I didn't articulate it properly.

I am not getting much space to walk if I park two cars in the driveway. So my plan is to remove those 1st two plants and fill with concrete which will give more spaces. And I am going to leave the Meter Box as it is; just pour concrets on the sides.

Is it okay to use 'ready mix concrete'? if yes, then how many packs I need to buy? Is it necessary to use Steel frame and pour concrete?

Thanks for your help.

regards,

Kiruba

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rvkiruba (Kiruba)

It's always prudent to use steel mesh support so that the slab will have extra reinforcement. 

Using ready mix concrete is perfectly ok. A 20kg bag will approximately cover an area of 500mm x 500mm at 50mm deep. I suggest getting four bags to start with and seeing if it's enough to cover the area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric for your support.

Much appreciated !!

regards,

Kiruba

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects