Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover a pergola? Additional beams needed?

ozito_buyer
Just Starting Out

How to cover a pergola? Additional beams needed?

Hello,

My newly built townhouse has a small pergola (2.4m x 4m) that only has cables, no polycarb sheets.

I'd like to cover it with some polycarb sheets. I assume I'd need to install extra beams in order to make coverage for the polycarb sheets, however I'm not sure.

Preferably I'd like to purchased all required materials from bunnings.

Any advice is much appreciated

Screenshot_20220127-111211.png

PXL_20211204_003330182.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover a pergola? Additional beams needed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ozito_buyer. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sheeting your pergola.

Start with your local council to check regulations. There can be some odd rulings regarding altering or building pergola structures that are sheeted. Once they are above a specific size, a permit is required. Other things to consider are that it might not have an adequate fall if the structure wasn't designed for roof sheets. You'll also need to consider drainage and where the water collected on the roof will run.

At a minimum, you'd need to install purlins at no more than 1000mm spacings across the roof. These are what the roofing sheets will be screwed down to. You'll also need to install at least a couple of extra beams to minimize the gap the purlins have to span unsupported.

Have you considered growing vines over this pergola, or are you looking for a wet weather solution? Some terrific choices for shade would be Star JasmineBougainvilleaClimbing RoseMandevilla and Pandorea.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects