Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend Spotted Gum decking boards?

beemerx65
Getting Established

How to extend Spotted Gum decking boards?

hi all.

I’m looking at using the spotted gum decking boards. The length I need is 40mm longer than the max of 5.7m lengths. Is it possible to extend by breaking a joint in them & using a longer piece. 
Thanks in advance 

WesBaker51
Growing in Experience

Re: decking

You would never use the full length in one run. Always stagger the joints and that way you get the total distance you need.

That's how I would do it, HaHaHa 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: decking

Is there any way you can adjust your plan @beemerx65? 40mm isn't a lot and ideally, you'd like to stick with a full length run instead of reverting to a traditional staggered board deck. 

Have you taken the thickness of your fascia decking boards and picture frame into account? Adding a picture frame around the decking boards will easily allow you to use shorter lengths of decking. A picture frame is essentially two perpendicular boards laid at either end of the deck. If you are using 90mm decking, that will reduce your needed board length by at least 180mm.

Breaker boards can also be quite effective and can be turned into a feature if used appropriately.

Feel free to upload a sketch of your layout as our helpful members might have some other recommendations you haven't thought of.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
beemerx65
Getting Established

spotted gum decking

hi I’m looking at spotted gum decking. Will it need to be sealed asap & can it be lightly sanded beforehand?

thanks 

Re: spotted gum decking

Hi @beemerx65,

You wouldn't want to wait too long with spotted gum, or it will start to grey off, or you might get staining on the raw timber. That's nothing a stain and oil couldn't fix, though. You don't need to wait the six to eight weeks like Merbau decking, which needs to leech out tannins.

You can certainly lightly sand the timber before oiling. Generally, it comes smooth enough from the manufacturer and doesn't need to be sanded.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects