Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend a Colorbond fence and clad with cement sheeting?

bella14
Just Starting Out

How to extend a Colorbond fence and clad with cement sheeting?

I'm wanting to extend this colorbond fence and then clad the entire fence with a cement sheeting or something similar in order to grow boston ivy. Can I build a frame directly onto the colorbond or will it cause the fence to be too heavy? 

There will also be a raised garden bed in front of it eventually so will need to be able to hold in the weight of the soil. 

17038267533818787093485501947149.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to extend a Colorbond fence and clad with cement sheeting?

Hi @bella14 

I think i get your  plans  boston ivy likes to cling on to buildings so your thinking re sheeting?

I ironically have the same color fence growing vines  over it now  can I suggest  all you  really need is a  roll of metal wire  (like the pvc coated black version )  The wire  labeled garden wire is cheaper a than many  other wire  types.

Wire can be screwed on with metal screws I am sure boston ivy can  climb wire too an it will still everntually glue to  the colour bond I am sure.

But to answer your question yes you can easy screw metal screws  with self drilling points to the top rail and or  bottom rail  and posts and it will be prefectly strong to hold cement sheets (ideal  put a support  under the cement sheets to hold wieght as a back up if they not  already sitting on the ground,)   If you put dirt against the fence stick  some plastic on  fence first to slow rust issues in years to come.

Hope this helps.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend a Colorbond fence and clad with cement sheeting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bella14. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about extending and cladding a Colorbond fence.

Fence manufacturers typically do not allow the installation of cladding onto their fences, and it would be best to contact the manufacturer for further information. Any additional weight would not have been taken into consideration when installing the fence. However, our members have had success in doing just that. Check out these amazing projects from @ProjectPete: Feature fences and Poolside fence makeover. Also, here's a helpful step-by-step guide on How to add an extension to a Colorbond fence.

I wouldn't recommend you use the fence as the back wall of your raised garden bed, as once again, the fence foundation and fence are not designed for that use. Instead, I recommend you create a standalone raised garden bed right in front of the fence. Here's a helpful guide: How to build a raised garden bed for privacy.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects