Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend an uneven fence?

BenN1
Growing in Experience

How to extend an uneven fence?

Hello community! 👋

I'm looking to install a fence extension on my existing fence, which is uneven with the back being higher than the front. I want to make sure the extension looks nice and seamless. Should I trim the top of the existing fence to create an even surface? If so, any tips on how to do it properly? Open to suggestions and experiences! Thanks in advance. 🏡 #DIYFence #HomeImprovementTips

1. this is the fence with uneven part

IMG_5948.jpeg

IMG_5949.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence extension and an uneven fence

Hello @BenN1 

Thanks for sharing your question about your fence extension. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the entire fence you are planning on working on? It is possible to trim your fence but cutting it in large sections might require it to be modified so that it does not compromise its structural integrity. Once we see your entire fence line, we'll be able to offer suggestions on how to install your fence extension.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BenN1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric.

Attached is a photo highlighting a section of approximately 1.5m with uneven height. The maximum cut needed is 15mm at the far right, and I'm not concerned about its impact on the structure. Would it be advisable to use a manual saw for this cut, considering my lack of experience with an electric circular saw on this surface?

Thanks,

Ben

IMG_5976.jpeg

IMG_5975.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BenN1 

Thanks for posting that extra photo of the fence. If it looks like you are only trimming 15mm off the top of the fence, I suggest using a Chalk Line and Reel to create a cutting guide on your fence. I also suggest using a spirit level to make sure that the line is level. But if you are lining it up with the current fence line, just make sure that that your chalk line is placed further along the fence so that you can use it as a guide.

Using a standard handsaw is perfectly alright. It might take you a little longer, but it will still get the job done. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Dave-1 for their suggestions.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric     

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @BenN1 

Going through your photos I would suggest pretty much what @EricL has.

If you have access to a circular saw I would use that (try and practice on an old piece of timber mounted at the same angle as the fence first even) I remember trimming my deck with uneven timber ends and man I was nervous but afterwards I really felt like I had accomplished something and at the same time I couldnt get over how easy it was. (the straight chalk line to follow was just bite your teeth and go)

No circular saw, or not 100% confidant go for the hand saw. It may take a little time but you will have a nice job. Id even be temped to screw a straight piece of timber off cut to be used as a solid string line to the fence to keep your cut straight.

Is the top of the fence that has the extended piece on top level? I would go with Eric's suggestion and use a level to make your new section look right.

Nice looking fence btw :smile:

Dave

BenN1
Growing in Experience

Thanks a lot @EricL and @Dave-1 . Very helpful. Much appreciated!

Cheers, 

Ben

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects