Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a large exterior window gap?

Memo4js
Just Starting Out

How to fill a large exterior window gap?

IMG_1393.jpegIMG_1392.jpegIMG_1116.jpegIMG_1117.jpeg

I have just moved in to this new house, and found out there are some windows that are not installed properly. Could you advise how to fill these kind of gaps with material guide?

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a large exterior window gap?

Hello @Memo4js 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your window.

Before you make any alterations, I suggest speaking to your real estate agent and asking them to get their builder to fix this unfinished window frame. Since it is a brand-new build, it should be technically finished, and no repair should be done to it.

However, if you have no other choice but to fix this window, I suggest spraying the gap with Parfix 340g Triple Expanding Foam Filler. The foam filler will prevent moisture and wind from passing through the gaps. The foam once cured can be trimmed down using a Craftright 18mm Snap Off Knife.

I recommend covering the front of the gap with 66 x 42mm 5.4m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP. It can be screwed into the timber parts of the window frame. The ones that need to go onto brick the brick wall will need to be attached with wall plugs and screws. Once installed the timber can then be painted to the colour of your choice.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects