Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix roof

bezeebee
Finding My Feet

How to fix roof

Hi all, need some help here. Moved to a new house and discovered the fascia board is rotting at one end due to gutters not draining correctly. There are roof tiles attached directly to the fascia board which are now loose. I checked yesterday and there is no water leaking in the roof but this might get worse if I don't fix this soon. Can this be a DIY job or do I need to call in the professionals? If DIY, what steps do I need to follow and what material would I need?  

Would appreacite your help!

Ben

20200911_142112.jpg

20200911_142106.jpg

20200911_142118.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix roof

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bezeebee. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've recently had almost the exact same repair done at my property by a tradesperson. Obviously, mine was more complex with the powerlines and not a D.I.Y. job.

I've included below a step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial on how to How to replace a fascia which I trust you'll find helpful. Your repair will be very similar except you will need to lift that final row of tiles and then re-bed them with a bedding and pointing mix.

You might have already done so but you'll need to address the gutter draining issue or the timber will continue to be damaged. Just check you don't need to apply some Selleys 310g Roof And Gutter Silicone Translucent to the inside of the gutter around the end cap. It could have rusted through there if the water was pooling at that end.

Please let me know if you need further information or have any questions about the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for the tips, am feeling a bit more confident now to take on the job myself. Will post some pictures once done or if I run into trouble :smile: 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great. Feel free to post again if you need any futher assistance with the repairs @bezeebee.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects