Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix up horrible peeling outdoor table?

hughesie
Getting Established

How to fix up horrible peeling outdoor table?

5A73A9CF-5338-4D42-A371-4A28EC3D5259.jpeg

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on how I can fix up our outdoor table. The table as pictured, is a fake concrete looking outdoor setting that has now started to peel in lots of areas ( side and table top pictures included). It looks terrible and I was wondering could I somehow strip it and paint it? When I had the power hose out to clean something else  it did take some of the peeling areas off further but I’m not sure it would strip back the whole thing.  Any suggestions much appreciated as am pretty disappointed with it- it’s only about 3 years old and just looks horrible now and we don’t want to entertain with it like that.  
Thanks in advance for your help. 
cheers, 

Jo

1C369CC7-9800-43C5-B31D-54A402C91DA4.jpeg

E0E4BBF5-DC0A-42A4-A057-32B217F86424.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix up horrible peeling outdoor table?

Hi @hughesie

That sequence is correct. Sand it first then apply the undercoat then sand again to remove any blemishes before putting on the main top coat. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your outdoor table repaired and ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hughesie
Getting Established

Thanks Eric!

I know this is an old post but would love to know how this worked out as I have exactly the same thing. Fake concrete table I thought I would try to save - mine was so peeled and bubbled that I managed to scrape off about half of the table 'concrete coating' quite easily but the other half is very hard going as seems to be more in the original condition which seems to be glued or something. There is a kind of netting around the edges which is glued underneath to the fake top and that is particularly hard to remove. Will only sanding get this off? And do you know who I could ask to do it as I'm not very handy- what kind of tradie could do this? Any help appreciated thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LynneMc. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a faux concrete table.

Let me tag @hughesie so they are alerted to your question, and hopefully, they can provide some feedback on how their project went.

As mentioned, this substrate is not really something that coating manufacturers cover, so it's difficult to provide much guidance on appropriate re-coating techniques. Perhaps you might like to share some images of your table so our helpful members can better understand what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

I'd imagine the netting is a reinforcement for the cement coating, and I'm not sure if removing it would be the best solution as it could compromise the coating

Apart from a professional who works with faux stone benchtops, it might just be a general handyperson who could perform these repairs. Remember that if you do any of this work yourself, PPE is essential, including a facemask, safety glasses and gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects