Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix up outdoor timber steps?

dmdwhite
Growing in Experience

How to fix up outdoor timber steps?

Hello, I have a set of outdoor steps that are in need of a little care and attention after years out in the elements.  There are 2 coats of paint that have worn through, and the brown undercoat is some sort of rubberised protective paint layer which is currently not providing much protection. There is also a small area where the timber has rotted that I suspect will need cutting out and filling.  What are the appropriate steps and materials for this painting and repair job?  Before repainting should I strip the current back to the bare wood or can I paint over the existing paint after sanding? Any advice gratefully received to bring these steps back to a good condition.  Thanks in advance.

374B7856-26E4-4B8B-BF84-C9149135CA73.jpeg
0348A755-930B-422B-AF4F-9F4E0518230C.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix up outdoor timber steps?

Hello @dmdwhite

Thank you for posting those photos of your timber steps. It could have been an exterior-grade primer and several thick coats of dark paint. It would be difficult, if not impossible to tell without the original can. But since you're planning on repainting the steps, this is the perfect opportunity to sand it all the way down to timber and recoat it with new paint and primer. You also have the option of using deck paint. The reason I suggested sanding everything off is that you don't want any of the old paint being left behind as it could possibly peel off.

Here are a few handy guides: 

The methods for renovating your stairs are the same as staining a deck. However, if you wish to paint it, there are a few brands to choose from like Dulux, British Paints, and Taubmans. In regards to replacing the step itself. You'll need to measure it and ask your local store if they have a timber step that that is equivalent in size and shape. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your steps refreshed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dmdwhite,

I'm a little concerned at your mention of an area where there is rotting as obviously there could be significant injury if the stair broke.

It is a little hard to assess the extent of your damage from the photo provided. I assume it will be easier once you perform the sanding as Eric has suggested, but I would be strongly considering replacing any damaged boards and carefully assessing the structural integrity of the whole staircase. 

Let me tag experienced members @tom_builds and @Noyade for their thoughts. 

Jason

Hey @dmdwhite and thanks for yhe tag @Jason.

The fact that the step that has some rot/damage to it is damaged where it meets the stringer, I would be replacing that step and taking a closer look at the rest of them just to be safe.

With the type of stringer on that staircase you will need to be able to access the outer sides of the staircase to remove and replace the step, and I'm not sure whether you have access to the side that is up against a wall (left hand side in the photo)?

Best of luck with your repair project,

Tom

dmdwhite
Growing in Experience

Thanks @tom_builds @and @Jason, I’ll certainly be taking a closer look at all the steps and staircase as a whole once I’ve completed the sanding. I do have access to both sides of the steps so that may mean I can do the repair myself or if it’s all too much for a weekend DIYer will call in an expert.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dmdwhite

Here's hoping that it will be a stair-step you can easily fix.

If you have any other questions regarding your project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects