Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of aphids on eggplant?

Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

How to get rid of aphids on eggplant?

Hello.

My 4 to 6 week old egg plant growing in a Vegepod has been constantly covered by pest that I can't identify or get rid.  I am not sure if they are or will hinder the plant growth.  There were a few buds but the flowers did not develop. I have tried Yates Nature's Way Naturasoap Pest Spray but it doesn't seem to make any difference. As I don't know the type of insects on the leaves, I'm attaching 2 photos.  Hoping someone can identify and recommend a safe treatment.

Thank you.202303_EggPlant_001.JPG202303_EggPlant_002.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pest on egg plant

Hi @Dezzi,

The major infestation there is Aphids. They're sap-sucking insects that cause the overall health of the plant to diminish. A secondary issue that occurs is that they excrete a sweet, sticky substance called honeydew. This attracts other insects that might also damage the plant.

Yates 750ml Nature's Way Vegie And Herb Pest Spray is an effective and safe method of controlling Aphids, though you might have had limited success as you have quite an outbreak there. You need to soak the plants with the product and spray all the insects thoroughly. Makes sure to cover both the top and undersides of the leaves and the stems until the product is running off the plant. It's important to re-apply every 5-7 days until the infestation is controlled.

Other methods of control include spraying the Aphids off the plant with your garden hose and wiping them off with a moist rag.

I'd encourage you to keep up the application of the Nature's Way product and I'm sure you'll be able to control the insects. It might take a few weeks with a weekly dose to see results. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thanks for responding and helpful advice.

Much appreciated,

Des

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Dezzi and please reach out again if you see no improvement in a couple of weeks.

Mitchell

I wounded is it worth treating when infestation is so great?

wouldn't It be best to start fresh?

thank you

goca (new member) 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Goca. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I'd imagine @Dezzi has put great effort into getting to this amount of growth, so it would be quite disappointing to start again. If we can save them, which I believe we can with adequate applications of the spray over a few weeks, then it's worth it. Also, depending on their location, it might be too late in the growing season to start again.

If Aphids required a poisonous pesticide, then I'd certainly agree that it would be best to start again, but given Yates Nature's Way Naturasoap Pest Spray isn't poisonous to humans, then I reckon it's worth giving a red hot go. 

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell for such quick response 

Now Just stating my feelings re gardening

I am very tired of all these pests

i tried so many different approach and am giving up

ie. 
all veggies in pots for easier care but it happens over night 

so when salads and all other eatable vegetables are so infested

it just not appropriate or appealing to eat

question 
lives that are affected should they be cut off and encourage new fresh growth?
Once damage is done to those that can’t be reverted??!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi again @Goca,

I can totally understand and sympathise. I know for me, it always seems to be a running battle. Last year I had dozens of lovely tomatoes; every time I waited for them to ripen, I found grubs in them. We have great expectations of a bountiful crop, and it's very disappointing to see it all damaged.

If there are sections of plants that are highly infected and have significant damage, then I'd suggest removing them. 

At the first sign of infestation I'd encourage you to start a discussion and show us the issue. Our knowledgeable gardening experts can then advise the best course of action to resolve the issue before the little critters take hold.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Goca,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Can you please tell us where you are growing your vegetables? Are they in the ground or perhaps a raised garden bed? 

I'm sure our knowledgable and experienced members would be happy to give you some tips for keeping pests at bay if you would like to share some more details of your growing conditions and location.

Many thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects