Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve appearance of old faux brick driveway?

Maz066
Just Starting Out

How to improve appearance of old faux brick driveway?

With all the rain the driveway became dangerously slippery. I took the high pressure cleaner to strip off the biological material. I now have a guaranteed non slip drivway but it looks terrible. Never much liked the Faux Brick driveaway, What are my options to rejuvenate.  Even plain concrete would be better

20220312_144448.jpg20220312_144519.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Old Faux Brick

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maz066. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rejuvenating a stencilled concrete driveway.

The issue that you will need to overcome here is that you have a degraded coating on the driveway. I'm afraid that I can't think of any coating manufacturer that would recommend going over this or would warranty their product over the existing surface. If it was sound stencilled concrete, you could likely use MegaTreat's products to create a solid sandstone look. However, if you've managed to take the coating off with a power sprayer, the chances are that any product placed over the top will soon fail because of the underlying bonding issues.

Given how degraded the surface is, I can only imagine that the entire surface needs to be ground back to bare concrete and then re-coated with the product of your choice.

Let me mention @TedBear and @Noyade to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to improve appearance of old faux brick driveway?

Hi @Maz066,

I spent a few hours cleaning out front and back decks on the weekend so this is a topical question for me. 

What kind of pressure cleaner do you have? It looks like you would get a much better result if you used something like the Karcher Surface Cleaner which is designed for decks and patios. It's much easier to get an even clean on a surface like your driveway compared to just with a single blaster. I think if you had something like the Surface Cleaner your driveway could come up really well. 

Let us know what type of pressure cleaner you have and I'm sure Mitch will be happy to recommend something suitable.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects