Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install DIY fly screen for a really tall sliding window door?

rynneth
Just Starting Out

How to install DIY fly screen for a really tall sliding window door?

I'm looking at this item here: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pfeiffer-350-x-485-925mm-pvc-adjustable-window-flyscreen_p0096962?region...

Would it be a bad idea to try installing this vertically, but stack three of them together to build a sliding window? I was thinking that I could use a bulldog clip to lock the extension in place, then try stacking three of them on top of each other. Would it be stable enough or would it fall off the moment I open the door? 

We're renting this place, and the door is about 255cm so it's been tough looking for a fly screen solution that fits the tall door. We also sometimes need to remove these once every 2 weeks as we have to bring furniture in and out of our balcony. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Fly Screen for a really tall sliding window door

Hello @rynneth 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a D.I.Y. flyscreen for a tall door.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the door? This will give our members a chance to assess its location. We can then make recommendations on possible ways to build a D.I.Y. flyscreen for the door.

Generally speaking, I'm thinking of suggesting building a simple timber door frame, once assembled you can drape flyscreen over it and staple it to the timber frame. Building the flyscreen is simple, getting it to slide or swing open is another matter. This is why we need to see the door assembly.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects