Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a gate onto brickwork?

AntonT
Cultivating a Following

How to install a gate onto brickwork?

Hi. I want to install this gate outside to replace an existing iron gate outside. I will cut it down to the height of the brickwork:
1833 x 900mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Horizontal Slat Gate - Bunnings Australia

The current space is 1030mm, with brick columns 1650mm high and 350mm wide. 

So I am thinking of attaching 2 x 42mm merbau "posts" to one side (effectively making a 84mm post) and a 1 x 42mm merbau post on the other side, as a 90mm post and a 42mm will be too wide. About 1650mm long so it looks nice and doesn't leave big gaps.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound reasonable?

2. What fasteners would be best to use to attach the timber to the brickwork?

3. Should the posts be 42mm x 42mm or 42mm x 90mm to be able to fit on the hinges and lock?

4. What hinges should I use?

5. Any recommendations as to what type of lock I should use? It would need to be opened from either side, and I'd prefer not to cut a hold to put my hand through. Lockable preferred but not mandatory.

6. Would you put the double-post on the lock side or the hinge side?

Thank you for your time and help.

Side view of brickworkSide view of brickworkFront view of brickworkFront view of brickwork

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing a gate onto brickwork

Hi @AntonT 

Thank you very much for the update, it's looking very good. Please remember to consider installing the Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Entry Lock as a possible security measure for your door.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AntonT
Cultivating a Following

Hi all,

It's taken some time, but the gate was installed today. I did have some help from a carpenter, but could have managed it myself.

We used 3 merbau 42 x 19 posts to match the gate, and decided just to install a wrought iron style latch, as a lock was not necessary. I oiled the cut ends as we had to cut off 3 slats to fit the height (2 off the bottom and 1 off the top), and cut the posts to the brick height. We used part of a slat to correct the thickness of the gate for the latch.

Happy for any comments, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.IMG_20230630_141921[1].jpgIMG_20230630_142757[1].jpgIMG_20230630_142747[1].jpgIMG_20230630_141936[1].jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks great! I'd be happy with that too.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AntonT 

Thank you very much for the update, the gate looks fantastic! It looks very well installed and blends in nicely with your brick fence. If you've not yet oiled or stained the panels, I suggest waiting an average of 8 to 12 weeks to season the timber. I estimate that by the end of September your door should be ready for oiling. 

I recommend oiling the gate once a year as part of its regular upkeep. This is also a good chance for you to inspect the screws and fittings making sure that none of them have developed severe rust. If regularly maintained, you should get a long service life from the gate and hinges.    

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects