Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install ledger board to timber frame house?

BenL1
Finding My Feet

How to install ledger board to timber frame house?

Any ideas on how I can install my 190mm ledger board to my house which has 150mm joist sitting on top of 200mm bearer?  At this stage I was planning on hanging the 90mm deck joist to the ledger board. Thanks

C078602E-499A-4350-B907-E7EA933CD104.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install ledger board to timber frame house

Hello @BenL1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your ledger board.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Mounting a ledger for landing/low deck by @Azz82. If you have a rim joist attached to your joists that would be the ideal spot to mount your ledger board. However, if you don't have a rim joist it's recommended to use posts and cantilever your deck frame. Adding posts would be the safer option as you won't be adding any extra weight or stress to the footing of your house. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the underside of your house? Specifically, the spot where you were planning on mounting the ledger board. This will give us a chance to assess the house frame and its condition. We can then offer suggestions on whether or not to attach the ledger board.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BenL1
Finding My Feet

DBD4513E-FE35-4309-A637-ABB111FF9776.jpeg

 Hello @EricL , thanks for the link to the other discussion.  Here is a pic of under the house.  Cheers Ben

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BenL1,

Is that a rim joist that I've pointed to in the image below? It doesn't look like it is, as I'm not seeing any nailing plates fixing it to the other joists. If it is, you'd be able to bolt your ledger board and it together.

The horizontal timber on top of the post could be another potential mounting point. As mentioned above, you need to determine whether the existing footers can support the new deck structure.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc , unfortunately not a rim joist this is just the external cladding.  Would mounting ledger board to horizontal timber that I’ve marked in the pic below using coach bolts and washers, changing deck joist from hangers to top mounted using triple grip work?  Also below is a drawing of the full plan for the additional L shaped deck around a yet to be install plunge pool.  Thanks so much.  Ben

DAC1EE53-D82E-4E7D-B563-9A93498A33D2.jpeg

AAC57697-E268-4518-A8EC-FBB02DD2586C.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If adding the ledger board to the face of that horizontal bearer extends it out far enough for the deck joists to sit on, then mounting them with triple grips sounds like it would work @BenL1. I'd suggest adding some noggins in-between for rigidity's sake. Once again, I'll emphasise that you need to ensure the house posts and footers can support this additional weight. The current footers will be designed to support the house, and I dare say if a deck were also to be supported at the time of construction, an engineer would have stipulated the need for additional posts and footers.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc you have been so helpful.  Oh I didn’t think about the current footers I’ll triple check this, I have include a pic of the current deck structure utilising too.  With regard to the noggins what is the best way to secure these?  Also if I had these in place could I use them to mount my ledger board? (Just thinking I could then go back to hanging the joist) Thanks

F08FE390-1B0D-49FF-9B0F-BECE20938059.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@BenL1,

I'd suggest nailing the noggins into place on their top and front face. You're just securing them in position so they don't move.

Using joist hangers off the face of the ledger board would be a common fixing method. However, having the joists sit on top of the ledger board would better support the structure's weight.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects