Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install outdoor blinds?

DIYImpressions
Having an Impact

How to install outdoor blinds?

IMG_8999.jpg

pic2pic2

I am planning to prepare my outdoor area to be ready for an upcoming party and make it comfortable for guests to sit outside this season. The right side (when standing in front of my door facing front) is exposed to the North and usually faces wind gusts. The plan is to cover the sides, (and maybe the front 3 sections if needed) to stop the wind and place 1-2 heaters. 

Privacy is not the concern but UV is and at the same time I want to maintain the visibility. So please recommend either to go with Bristo Charcoal or Clear?

Measurements:

Right Blind

- The inner right side is 3030mm wide (excluding pole which is 90mm)

- The drop is 2170mm till the deck and 2300 till the grass

Left Blind

- The inside is 3030mm wide (excluding pole which is 90mm)

- The drop is 1950mm till the deck seat (pic 2)

1- What will be the recommended size of the blinds?

2- How do I mount the 210cm Wall Anchors. on the rendered wall?

3- Should I mount the blinds on the outside or inside of patio horizontal frame?

4- As the right side will be most exposed to sun, will the PVC clear get yellowish tint over time?

5- How do I install the blind on left sides as the patio frame finishes before the deck wooden frame. If I mount where the frame ends, blind will drop on the seat. If I install it inside the patio, the blind will drop next to the seat i.e. till the deck.

6- What is the wind rating for this blind? can it handel 60km/h wind gust?

@MitchellMc for your input plese.

Thanks,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install outdoor blinds?

Hello @DIYImpressions

Thanks for sharing your questions about installing outdoor blinds. According to the reviews posted about these blinds, they are actually very strong as they were able to withstand a storm at one stage. 

Let me try to answer some of your questions:

• In order to mount the blind, I suggest placing a horizontal timber piece to be attached to the wall and to the roof frame. I recommend using a nut and bolt configuration for the post side and using an angle bracket in combination with Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus for the rendered wall.

• In order to mount the 210cm Wall Anchors, I recommend placing an H3 90x45 timber framing to be mounted onto the rendered wall using Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus as well. Now that you've added a 45mm piece of timber to the overall size you can now get a standard 3-meter bistro blind to fit into the opening.

• I suggest mounting the bistro blind on the outside to make the installation easier and less complicated.

• Like any product when exposed to the sun over an extended period of time, it will deteriorate and turn yellow. It will eventually happen to your blinds but we are looking at a long-term process. 

• In this particular instance if you have the time to wait you can order a custom-cut bistro blind so that it ends at the seat. The bistro blind has a plastic extension piece that laps over the surface once fully extended.

• Let me do some investigation about the wind rating for the bistro blinds. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you. 

I've placed some images below to give you an idea of how to build the mounting frame for the bistro blind.

I'm sure @MitchellMc will add more to the discussion in case he has more ideas.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYImpressions
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL 

i need more understanding on mounting H3 90x45 timber. I didn’t understand how to use chemset and can i use 70x35 timber?

how about mounting the blind directly on the roof frame? I can tilt a bit to make it straight like this (notice the green line)

if thats possible it will save alot of time and effort

8D21EA25-CE83-4D09-BB9D-CA89EC1AA503.jpeg

Also there are lot of reviews on edges torn away near the zip side after sometime. Has this problem been resolved?

Hi DIY.

"how about mounting the blind directly on the roof frame? I can tilt a bit to make it straight like this (notice the green line)

if thats possible it will save alot of time and effort"

I do like Eric's solution. But I see what you mean.

Just a thought > with a good straight edge and a reliable electric hand saw - cut a long beveled H4 section and glue/screw under the area you've indicated. This would give you a better chance of leveling and possibly look a little better?

Just a suggestionJust a suggestion

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I do know Bunnings have the "roller" style blinds that you raise and lower with a rotating handle system.

Dunno what they come under in a Bunnings search?

Various sizes from memory. Very durable and storm resistant - from my experience.

There is a lock down system.

Worth considering?

The door is removed in summer.The door is removed in summer.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYImpressions

I definitely believe it's possible to attach the blind to the roof frame of the alfresco. What's important is that the installation be made as level as possible. If you were to install it at a slight angle the bistro blind would come out distorted and out of shape. I suggest looking at the excellent suggestion made by @Noyade to achieve a level horizontal mounting point for the bistro blind.

Using 70x30 is possible, to install it on your rendered wall, you'll need to drill some holes to install Chemset anchor studs in combination with the Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus. You'll then need to drill holes in the timber piece and fix it in place using the nuts provided with the set. 

I've placed a sample diagram below to give you an idea of how the Chemset Anchor bolts are attached to the wall. The timber piece is then positioned into place once the adhesive cures. 

DIYimpressions bistro blind4.jpg

Here is a link to the Ramset Chemset Ultrafix:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@Noyade great idea. Ill see if that's needed. 

@EricL i just came from bunnings and realised that using treated pine requires sanding to make it smooth before painting it black. The guys in the store suggested using 50 x 25 treated pine saw or DAR Tasmanian Oak 32x32. The latter one is low profile and provides enough depth to support bistro wall anchors. Also its ready to paint and no sanding is required. What's your opinion on that?

I'll go through the chemset fixing video. Can I use STAHL Masonry Kit 8mm Drill With 50mm Blue Wall Plugs  or Zenit 10-8x75mm Galvanised Screw with Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor ? These fixings will be neat compared to chemset anchor stud popping up

Also the bistro wall anchors which I purchased today are of size 210cm whereas the blind itself is 240cm. Shouldn't be the anchors of the same size?

Thanks

In addition to the above, I think there is a hallow red brick wall behind the rendering. In that case do I have to use Ramset multifit siev with anchor stud and chemset?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYImpressions

If you're using a smaller piece of timber, I suggest using the Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor. However, you'll need to use more to make sure that the timber piece is secure on your wall. You'll also need to use a longer screw so that the anchor works effectively. Just keep in mind that by adding timber to the space between your timber post, it becomes smaller making it perfect for fitting the fixed-sized Bistro blinds.  The universal anchor is very versatile and works in hollow brick walls as well. 

As to your question about the 210cm Wall Anchors, It is designed to fit the Bistro blinds despite their shorter length.      

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you @EricL 

The screws coming along with Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal anchors tagged above, are they long enough? With DAR 32x32, only 18mm of the screw will be in the wall. Is that enough? 

please suggest longer screws for anchors.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects