Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to keep sand in between pavers/ bricks

MegR
Finding My Feet

How to keep sand in between pavers/ bricks

D98EC490-5D6F-46BC-BD8B-757650811CAD.jpeg

2171129E-A275-4A7B-8950-EB80DC9758A8.jpeg

  

I’ve paved a small area using leftover bricks. I used Bunnings paving sand for the base and to fill between the gaps but it rained heavily yesterday and it has washed out most of the sand. What is the best product to use to fill gaps effectively in pavers/ bricks? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to keep sand in between pavers/ bricks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MegR. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about paving sand.

You might like to mix some cement in with the sand if you had some available for such a small area. However, you'll likely see some cracking of the joints with just sand and cement. Alternatively, products like Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand are used for this purpose. PowerLoc Sand is a polymer-based product that prevents it from washing out or cracking. I'd probably advise blasting out the remaining sand with a hose and re-filling with the Powerloc product.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. That’s exactly what I was thinking although I read the reviews for that dingo product and they weren’t great so I wondered if there were any other suggestions. I guess for a small area like that, this product should do the job! Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's understandable, @MegR. I'd recommend you go with the cement mixed into sand option then. You'll find that you might get small cracks in it, but that can be filled later if it's an issue. Use a 1:5 mix of cement to sand.

If you're filling up to the edge of the pavers with soil, you can keep adding plain sand and watering it into the gaps until it compacts. I believe it's a combination of the sand being able to run out the sides, heavy rain, and the sand wasn't compacted, which has caused the issue. With most paving jobs, normal sand works perfectly well. You need to keep sweeping it in and watering it down until it naturally compacts into the gaps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I am just wondering if this would apply to our situation. The french pattern pavers were set on 100mm of compacted road base and laid on a sand/cement (mortar) mix. Unfortunately the paving sand adhesive did not set as the gaps between some of our pavers are up to 15mm. Pur paving guy seemed really shocked and we are pretty disappointed as it even said on the packet suitable for up to "3mm gaps". Now trying to find a solution and have lost faith in our guy so hoping we can point him in the right direction. We read for larger gaps exterior grout would be appropriate. Any advice greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MegR

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend putting some temporary timber borders around the edge of your pavers to hold the sand/cement mix in. Once the mix has cured you can remove the temporary timber borders and level the soil back to its side.

Please note that before putting the timber borders in, you need to spray the side that will be exposed to the sand/cement mix with WD40. This is critical so that the mix will not bond to the timber.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pavers neatly grouted.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AnnaSophia

At those gap sizes that you've mentioned, I'm afraid it will have to be a sand/cement mix. As my colleague has mentioned using a 1:5 mix of cement with sand should be sufficient to fill the gap. My best advice when it comes time to activate the mix is to use the "mist" function of your garden hose. using any of the other functions of your garden hose will push the mix out of the gap. It's important that the water settle in gently without forcing the mix out of the gap.

In case of strong rain, I suggest covering the area with Grunt 2 x 5m Black 100um Multi-Use Plastic Film. This will prevent the mix from getting washed out and drying too fast.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects