Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level concrete for posts

pats6182
Having an Impact

How to level concrete for posts

Hello, I need to install some screening posts, but the concrete slab is not level on the edges. The Pyrda Post bolt down anchor will not be level. Is there an issue if I add packers or washers to level it? Or can I just bolt it anyway and just level the posts? 

Thanks

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to level concrete for posts

Hi pats.

I could be interpreting your problem wrong - but if it's like this - I personally would cut a sliver of the tube section out with an angle grinder and bend until vertical - and weld it.

I'm sure better suggestions will follow, but I don't like the idea of packing with washers, etc.

Cheers!

Scan0746.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pats6182

Thank you for sharing your question about how to level concrete to mount a post.

It's great that you've received an excellent suggestion from @Noyade. Another way to do it is by laying a level bed using Lanko 20kg 702 Durabed Structural Grout for the post anchor to sit on. You will have to build a timber form to support the grout and use a level to make sure that the top is trowelled flat.

I recommend pre-drilling the mounting holes and using large fat straws to make sure that the grout doesn't go into the holes. Once the grout has cured you can mount your post. Should the mounting bed be unlevel, you can use a DTA 105mm Dual Row Grinding Disc to level the top. Please make sure that the grout is totally dry before using it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Eric!

"Another way to do it is by laying a level bed using Lanko 20kg 702 Durabed Structural Grout for the post anchor to sit on."

Would that product work as a "patch" for chipped concrete on a driveway? It adheres well to old concrete? Thanks for bringing new (to me) products to our attention. 👍

Cheers.

20211023_093018.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

You'd likely be better off with Lanko 5kg 136 Rapid Patching Mortar as it is designed for repairing concrete. The Lanko 20kg 702 Durabed Structural Grout is more so for creating structural beds.

Mitchell

Wow!

Many thanks Mitchell. I'll definitely give it a go. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sure you're more than aware, but you'll need to re-create that edge with formwork @Noyade. Just dig the soil away and stake a piece of Claymark 89 x 19mm x 1.2m Standard Grade Dressed Pine Sheet (or something flat) against the side of the slab. That will hold the cement mixture in place until it cures.

Mitchell

@EricL @Noyade @MitchellMc thanks for the comments. I think I will put some photos when the weather improves a bit. 

Hello @MitchellMc 

The posts stirrups are all set. Now comes the pergola part. I’m planning to use 240x45 beam and 90x90 treated pine dressed posts. Will be around 2.6 m high. Noticed the beam is heavier than the post. I was wondering if the posts would be able to hold the weight. One beam per two posts span at 3.6 m. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pats6182

It's good to hear you've made some progress with your project. You'll have to refer to a pergola span table to see if it will work. The structural tolerances of the timber will be indicated on that table. However, if you've drawn up a plan, you will have to engage the services of a builder or structural engineer to certify your plan. Before you start your build, I suggest checking with your council or local authorities on what the rules and regulations are when building a pergola. 

Here are some links to handy step-step guides.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects