Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to loosen glass pool fence spigot?

tod
Cultivating a Following

How to loosen glass pool fence spigot?

Hi there,

I found one of my pool glass panels leaning forward the other day and discovered the reason is that the pieces of timber beneath the decking that were used to brace / support the spigots have rotted through.  Replacing these timber pieces with H3 timber (and retreating the cut ends) is not really a problem for me, but ...

... just one of the tiny bolts on one of the spigots for clamping the glass seems to be damaged and the more I've tried loosening it with an Allen key, the more I seem to have damaged it. I've also WD40'd the hell out of it. Unfortunately I have to remove the glass to get at the screws that attach the spigots to the decking.  So, the only thing I can think of now is to use an extraction bit and try to force out the offending hardware. This makes me nervous though in case it fails, hence the small bolt thingy will be destroyed and I'll be then left without an option.  Would anyone have any alternative suggestions as a solution? I've attached a photo for demonstration. Thank you in advance.spigot2.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Pool Glass Spigot Screw Won't Loosen To Remove Glass

Afternoon @tod 

I Googled stripped allen heads - and this gent assures viewers a 'tapered' Torx head is the way to go.

Can't say I've seen a tapered variety of Torx head. It might be worth trying with the plain heads and see if there is a perfect tight fit?

Look forward to seeing if you have any success with this.

Maybe?Maybe?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tod,

If the allen key head is stripped, then it's already destroyed. I'd suggest you move on to screw/bolt extraction methods, like using a screw extractor. Failing those working in the stripped allen key head, you'll have to drill out the bolt and try them again.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tod
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Noyade, that's really interesting - I actually have a few tapered Torx heads at home (Torx screws being my favourite type, just wish they were more plentiful) and will give that a go a little later.  I'll let you know how I get on.

tod
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc.  I'll have a go first with Noyade's suggestion and see if that works.

tod
Cultivating a Following

@Noyade, can't thank you enough - it worked!  I used a Torx head T27 with a manual ratchet driver and it worked like a breeze.  Thanks again.

IMG_7751.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening @tod 

I'm glad it worked but at the same time I'm surprised it did work. I've never tried it - I've always gone down the track that if the metric hex is slipping, I'll try a closer fitting imperial hex. Live and learn. 👍

Interesting though - and slightly related - I did buy an American socket set (32 sockets) that bragged it would fit 217 variously shaped screw/bolt heads based on the internal ribbing. I was dubious, but they do work well. I guess in a way, Torex works - cause the ribbing is sorta on the outside?

20221230_193147.jpg

Nice  job  @Noyade  @tod  @MitchellMc 

I

tod
Cultivating a Following

@Noyade I think the slightly tapered shape of the Torx head, its ribbing on the outside and all the WD40 I used - these things combined probably came into play.  Apart from resorting to an extraction bit, I wouldn't have managed without the Torx head. Now I need to find an allen bolt replacement - Bunnings?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tod,

I'd suggest taking the bolt to your nearest Bunnings store and a helpful team member will assist you with finding a matching replacement.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects