Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to loosen glass pool fence spigot?

tod
Cultivating a Following

How to loosen glass pool fence spigot?

Hi there,

I found one of my pool glass panels leaning forward the other day and discovered the reason is that the pieces of timber beneath the decking that were used to brace / support the spigots have rotted through.  Replacing these timber pieces with H3 timber (and retreating the cut ends) is not really a problem for me, but ...

... just one of the tiny bolts on one of the spigots for clamping the glass seems to be damaged and the more I've tried loosening it with an Allen key, the more I seem to have damaged it. I've also WD40'd the hell out of it. Unfortunately I have to remove the glass to get at the screws that attach the spigots to the decking.  So, the only thing I can think of now is to use an extraction bit and try to force out the offending hardware. This makes me nervous though in case it fails, hence the small bolt thingy will be destroyed and I'll be then left without an option.  Would anyone have any alternative suggestions as a solution? I've attached a photo for demonstration. Thank you in advance.spigot2.jpg

tod
Cultivating a Following

Re: Pool Glass Spigot Screw Won't Loosen To Remove Glass

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hey @tod 

May I humbly suggest - something without a hex head.  😊

I'm assuming (just going by your photo) the whole fitting and bolts are marine stainless steel?

tod
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Noyade 

There are 14 spigots in total and far as I can tell they're all marine stainless steel, including the hex screws. I've replaced the offending hex with a non-stainless steel one, which is temporary until I can get my hands on a stainless steel one. I'm no expert, but I think the spigots are always clamped with hex screws so it mightn't be an option for me to change that. Anyway, a whole new problem evolved from the job - as we were putting the panel back into  position, it tapped the edge of the neighbouring panel and the unthinkable happened; the neighbouring panel exploded into a trillion little pieces, several of which ended up embeded in my legs and feet (having my doctor look at one of the cuts today). So it's been an eventful few days! My new job now is to source a new panel. 😒

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tod

So sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are OK and getting the support and assistance you need. Please let us know if we can do anything to assist.

If you can take some measurements for me, I'd be happy to help locate a replacement panel for you.

For our community members reading this discussion, it is an important reminder that glass pool panels are fragile and can break easily. When dealing with them, it's best to wear safety glasses, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants, and enclosed footwear. These measures will help prevent injuries by minimising skin exposure if an accident is to occur.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Tod @tod 

"Anyway, a whole new problem evolved from the job"

Yes, been there. I hope no permanent damage to yourself and a quick recovery. 🤞

Cheers

Graeme.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects