Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to oil a new deck?

DIYImpressions
Having an Impact

How to oil a new deck?

Hi Team, I built my Mebau deck 24sqm last year. Now I am planning to oil it for the first time. I need to maintain the natural look. Please advise the steps to follow. Below are some pictures. The deck is facing maximum sunlight. Thank you

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

Re: How to oil a new deck?

Yes this is the plan. I will check the precipitation level and will start in a sunny day. But is it alright to have a 1 day gap between oil coats? Also how do i make sure the 1st coat is completely dried before I start for the second coat. 

Hi @DIYImpressions,

Here's a video on the application of the Intergrain decking oil. The instructions suggest waiting three hours before applying your second coat. So, if it were a warm day, then you would wait the suggested time before re-coating. If it's a colder day, you could give it another hour. It's best to do the second coat after the specified time and not wait until the next day.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

i did Ultraprep Tannin remover yesterday and below is the result. Stains are somewhat removed but i can also see some new  stains where the water stayed for a while. Do i need to repeat the applicator or the Ultra Pre New timber clean will solve the problem?

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

Hi @DIYImpressions,

There are some significant improvements there. Personally, if you have some of the tannin remover left, I would give it another scrub down with it before moving on to the cleaner. I think a more uniform finish could be achieved. You'd likely be fine going straight to the cleaner now, but I'm looking for the best results for you. The issue is once you clean and apply the oil, there's no going back to trying to remove stains. This is our chance now to get the timber looking it's best and most uniform.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

So I applied tannin remover again and also performed UltraPrep deck clean twice and here ate the results. So picture 1 is the before coating, 2nd is after 1st scrubbing with tannin remover and 3rd is 2x tanning and 2x deck clean. 

My deck is 28 sqm so I bought the Deck Clean accordingly i.e 6 ltrs. But surprisingly I only utilised 2ltr of the chemical with 8 ltr of water and still some liquid is left in the tray. Logically it should have been utilised completely as per description and i am sure I applied generously on the deck. Did I miss something?

IMG_2655.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

Hello @DIYImpressions 

That deck looks very nice, and you've done the prep and clean up very well. Looking at photo number three it seems to me that all the old tannins have been removed sufficiently and that surface looks ready for a new coat. Please make sure that the decking panels are totally dry before you begin recoating the deck.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves and goggles when you begin painting your deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @EricL 

i have successfully completed 2 coats for oil and willing to do a third one as my deck is exposed to full sun. Its evening now but the precipitation level is 0. Can I still go ahead? I am using Intergrain Ultra deck waterbased Merbau oil 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/intergrain-4l-merbau-ultradeck-timber-decking-oil_p1520136

How'd you go with those coats @DIYImpressions? Any chance of some update pictures? I'm very keen to see your results.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Alright, I didn’t proceed with the 3rd coat as the 2nd was bit sticky and it was very cold. Below our the pictures. I see lap marks from the first coat in the middle of deck because thats where my deck is divided into two sections. My first coat was section wise thats why I see the lap marks. Therefore in second coat i went through whole timber board of both sections at same time. It reduced the lap marks in middle but i can still see them for some boards. Refer to pic B

Can I sand that area and do the 3rd coat all over again? And how to do the sanding?

Lastly, I am unable to do the coat today because is lightly sticky and rain is expected as well. Is it ok to do it later like after a week? Will this cause any issues?

Also the pictures shows milky spots. Is that normal?

IMG_2663.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

Hi @DIYImpressions,

That looks fabulous, and I'm really happy you went the extra mile with the stripping and cleaning process, as most of those watermarks are now not noticeable. You're fine to leave the deck until you get some sunny weather, do not be tempted to do your third coat if rain is predicted. In fact, with the two decent coats, you'd be fine to leave the deck until the weather warms up in spring.

I would be inclined to leave the area in the middle that's received extra coats between the boards and has the lap marks. Sanding now is going to create several other issues. You can't sand just this area and recoat and be assured that you will not create the same issue but over a larger area. 

Milky spots are completely normal when coating a deck in winter. Allow the product to fully cure over the course of a few days of sunny weather.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects