Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint an old cane basket?

KimLB
Finding My Feet

How to paint an old cane basket?

315DCA1C-F476-4519-A92C-C88486D3E67F.jpeg

91CA1596-AC28-49D1-A210-14416AF9BCCA.jpeg

I want to fill this basket with baby shower gifts for my daughter in law and aim to use this lovely basket to hold the items in. How should I paint it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint an old cane basket?

Hello @KimLB

There are two ways you can paint your basket. You can use Dulux 500ML Interior Paint Wash&Wear Low Sheen Vivid White with a paintbrush. But if you want a more natural look use Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. I prefer Cabot's because it is tough wearing and is food safe. My number one tip is to make sure that the paint is dry before putting anything in the basket.

I suggest washing the basket with Selleys 750ml Super Kleen Sugar Soap Multipurpose Surface Cleaner in combination with a soft brush. Your objective is to remove any oil or grease that may be on the surface of the basket. Do not over scrub as the fibers may lift, and it will become difficult to paint. Make sure the basket is dry before painting it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @KimLB  this is going to be so cute when finished! Would love to see it all put together. 

Katie 

B77C4E47-0091-48CD-823E-77C9238A6DEF.jpeg

0883C00E-5172-4E97-8421-D1CF85A1A440.jpegI’m almost done, will post pics after I complete it 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking good, @KimLB! I can't wait to see the finished project.

It's a boy, I take it?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects