Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint my driveway?

nfds
Growing in Experience

How to paint my driveway?

I propose to paint my driveway. . Attached are photos of my drive way. you will notice from the photographs that there are fine vein lines cracks on the drive way, so could  you advise  if  I have to use a sealant or only paint  to cover these cracks.

could I get a combination of both sealant and paint together  

thanks

Nick

dirveway -1.jpgdriveway.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint my driveway?

Hello @nfds

Thank you for sharing your question about how to paint your driveway.

One factor that could have caused the cracks to appear on your cement driveway is excessive water in the cement mix. Combined with too much heat, it caused the cement to shrink even more causing the cracks. Accelerated drying is also a possibility. It often happens when the top of a concrete slab loses moisture too quickly, crazing cracks will likely appear. While unsightly, crazing cracks are not a structural concern. If your driveway is more than 10 years old and has had no significant movement and has not gone out of alignment, it's safe to conclude that it is still relatively stable.

Using paint will cover the cracks for a while but eventually, they will be seen again as the cracks are lower and will hold dust and debris making them stand out. If you wish to paint the driveway, I recommend White Knight Ultra Pave 2L Garage Floor Primer in combination with White Knight 10L Medium Grey Ultra Pave Quick Dry Paint

However, if you wish to remove the cracks on the slab, you will have to engage the services of a professional slab resurfacing firm. It sounds like a very interesting paint project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. Please make sure to read the instructions on the back of the can when painting on slopes.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a concrete driveway

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint my driveway?

@nfds I am very curious about this one myself! Please do post some after photos so we can see the difference :smile: 

Katie

nfds
Growing in Experience

Painted driveway

Sometime back I had sought  suggestion from Bunnings workhop for painting my driveway. I have just done the same  and

enclose herewith some pix of the same. I used Crommelin  Sealer Tint base  mixed with the required tint. driveway -2.jpgdriveway -1.jpgdriveway.jpgdirveway -1.jpgdriveway.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painted driveway

Hello @nfds

Thank you so much for posting the photos of your updated driveway. What did you use to fill the holes on your driveway? How long did it take for the driveway paint to become dry? Do you have any tips or advice for those members who wish to replicate your project? Any extra information you can share about your project would be much appreciated. If you have any other projects on the go, please don't hesitate to share them. 

Again, thank you for sharing the results of your driveway painting project.

Eric

nfds
Growing in Experience

Re: Painted driveway

Hi Eric,

My driveway had some hairline cracks. I tried reading up - if  I used a sealer  would it  sort of seal the small cracks. I then found an article  which suggested   to use Crommelin Sealer . , so I used it . It did dry up fast but as recommended by the paint company I did not use it for seven days. 

I would suggest dont hurry the job .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects