Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint outdoor plastic furniture?

DIYMum
Having an Impact

How to paint outdoor plastic furniture?

Hi Brains Trust

I'd like to upcycle this outdoor bench with paint. Is there a specific paint that's best for this? Could I use Rust-oleum Chalked paint? Still deciding whether to go bright and bold or pastel, but leaning towards pastel today :smile: Would I need to prime first?

I've also got a couple of chairs that I'd like to paint as well.

Thanks! 20220504_114831.jpg

Re: How to paint outdoor plastic furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SharonL888777. It's lovely to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting plastic garden boxes.

If you want to avoid spray paint, you could prep the polypropylene with Flood 500ml ESP Easy Surface Paint Preparation. That would then give any coat of paint the best chance of sticking to the surface. You'd be able to use a standard exterior paint, but remember that it's not especially durable, so it would be best to keep a little of your chosen colour on hand for touchups.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you :wink:

flussy
Just Starting Out

Can I do that on my gazebo 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @flussy. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a gazebo.

Let me mention @DIYMum to get their thoughts.

What is your gazebo made from? If it's plastic, a similar approach would likely work, but if it's a different material, if you can provide details, we can work out the best method.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects